So this is the last weekend before the election. And I'm sure that people are sick of hearing about Prop 8! It's been the big topic of conversation among many Californians and non Californians, as well...just everyone! But, it is a big deal. I don't usually get involved in anything political. And to be honest, I probably wouldn't have gotten into this had it not been for Adam. As soon as it all started, Adam was the first to volunteer to help. I admire that. He spent many many hours going to door to door to different precincts and asking all of the registered voters what their vote on the proposition would be. He's a people person, so it was easy for him. I would have been scared to death! But, he spent a lot of time on that. And then he headed up a thing today. He was put in charge of the door hangers that are going on all of the people's doors who were undecided. The "mushy middle" people. There were 4500 door hangers that needed to go out today. And...people showed up to do it. I was a little skeptical that they would take them, but they took stacks...multiple stacks of about 150 each, and did it. Talk about support! This is important, and it's so cool to see our ward stepping up and helping out like they have. It's amazing. People are just so willing to help. They were even at our house this morning...the day after HAlloween, at 8 AM to pick up their door hangers and routes they were supposed to complete. It's great.
And then, yesterday I was driving. On a busier intersection in Santa Maria, there were youth out on the corners with "Yes on 8" signs. I guess they have been doing this around the area, getting the youth involved with everything. One of them had a handmade sign that said "Honk if you support Prop 8." This may seem silly. And may prove how pregnant and hormonally emotional I am, but there were a lot of cars honking. I was a stop light for a pretty long time, and heard so many cars passing and honking. And...I got teary. Not just teary, I cried. I guess I just realized that what we are doing is being heard. The church has done so much to organize this coalition to help protect marriage in our state. And, since the actual proposition on the ballot is worded kind of funny, with the help of all those who have volunteered, it's clearer and more people are supporting it.
On the flip side of everything, the yard signs get stolen, vandalized, and/or torn up everyday. Some people replace them everyday. Most have been advised to bring them in at night to avoid any further destruction of the signs. There are people are so against it, and are very vocal about it. Instead of helping out their own cause, they just try to destroy ours. They aren't doing much good for their side by just tearing down a sign. Which brings me to this picture that we got from Adam's mom.
We support this cause. It's important to us. Our prophet has issued a plea for us to do all that we can do to help. It's important to our Heavenly Father for this to pass. It is His plan for a man and women to be married. It's the only way for us to return to him. And right now is the time for this to be saved. Like, Samuel, we are and will get persecuted for it, but if we stand up for what we believe, despite everything else, we will be blessed.
I SUPPORT PROP 8! And I love you, Adam, for everything that you are doing to help this cause. It really means a lot.
1 week ago









3 comments:
I wish you guys lived closer - we would be great friends! I am glad to see that your family is standing so strongly and having a wonderful conviction for this cause - you have just cause to cry for it - pregnant or not!!!
On our trip to Disneyland last week I was shocked to see a giant billboard that read VOTE NO on RELIGION - Vote No Nov. 4th on Prop 8. That makes me even more sure that what the Prophet has asked you to do is the right thing. This country was founded on IN GOD WE TRUST. Religious Freedom was the core of it all and to think 200 + years later here we are in that same country trying to take religion out of it completely!!!! The last days are here!
No matter what happens on Tuesday your family can assuredly stand in front of your maker and say you did all that you could do for this cause! Thank you so much again for being willing do be thrown into the hornets nest of persecution for the cause!
PS. Macie’s Halloween costume was adorable!!!
I love you. I love that you are vocal and confident and right on.
I love that you have adorable children that I get to be related to. 39 days 'til Jacob!!
I love the witch costume. SO darling. And Buzz's costume is awesome. Good choice.
Madeline was a ghost--I made her costume from white tulle to make a floating look. A few asked if she was a bride. WHATEVER!
Annalise was a queen of the butterflies. This just means a butterfly princess dress and a butterfly painted on her cheeks. No wings. Though I'm happy she dressed up at all. The night before she was talking to Geoff's mom and she said she just wanted to be a "normal person" for Halloween. Translation: no costume. But for candy, she'll do anything.
Love you.
Good job fighting for the right!!
And great job throwing together a whole new costume for Macie. Your kids looked very cute!
Post a Comment