Thursday, November 20, 2008

Noah is 4.


Can you believe it? Noah is 4. How the time flies. I remember it like it was yesterday. His original due date was November 16, 2003. I had gone into the doctor earlier in the Monday, and they stripped my membranes {I know...too much info, but it's part of the story!} And then I went back in on Friday, the 19th. They did it again, because there wasn't any progress. I hadn't even dilated yet. I went to work that day and had contractions all day long. It was a big joke that everytime I walked into work that I was STILL there. I actually enjoyed working up until the day I had him...it helped take my mind off of everything and made it go by faster. All day long, however, my contractions were about 10 to 12 minutes apart. They never got any closer. I drove back to Rexburg and attempted to make dinner. The only thing that sounded good to me was Malibu Chicken, the kind you get at Sizzler. But, Adam was working in Driggs, I think, and didn't come home until later, so I thought I'd make it myself. Bad idea. I burned the chicken and the sauce didn't turn out right. So, or course, I bawled. I was an emotional wreck with Noah!!
I continued to have contractions and eat Starbursts and finish tying Noah's quilt. At about 2AM, I went upstairs to tell Adam it was time. I thought we should probably go. We get to the hospital and they checked me...I wasn't even a 1 yet. Holy crap...I was so mad. Luckily, Dr. Crouch was going out of town and he had wanted to deliver our baby. So he let me stay. In Rexburg there were a lot of babies that day...everyday, really...so there wasn't a room available. We walked around for about 2 hours. The contractions got closer together, but I wasn't making much progress. I finally got into a room, they broke my water, and that got things going. I got the epidural at about 10, and loved it. But I couldn't feel my legs. My sister in law, Kimberlee gave me a green jolly rancher, and said that it was good to suck on candy. But, I ended up throwing it up ALL day long. I will never eat a green jolly rancher every again! But, finally it was time. I was ready. At around 1 PM, I started pushing. And I pushed. And I pushed. Nothing was happening. So I kept pushing. FINALLY, at 3:52PM, out popped Noah, 8 pounds 1 ounce, 21 1/2 inches long. This was before out digital camera days, so we have pictures, but I don't know where they are! But he was so cute, and smooshed!
Shift change was at 4, so I kind of got forgotten. My mom and sister were right outside the door when he was born, so they came in right away. The rest of my family slowly started coming to see the first grandchild. And at about 9, the realized that I hadn't ever gotten cleaned up. I was still sitting in all of that birthing crap. Gross, huh? Again, probably too much info, but it's just part of the story!
Adam held him while I slept, and about 4 in the morning, I got the worst awakening. Adam woke me up to tell me that the nurses had taken Noah to the ICU, he wasn't breathing right and had lost a lot of color. Of course, as new parents, we completely lost it. We rushed down to the NICU and saw our perfect little baby all hooked up to monitors, IVs in his arms, oxygen in his nose...the works. It was heartbreaking. I hadn't even fed him yet. He didn't have any interest in eating when he was born, and the nurses said it was fine. But I lost it. My baby was having problems, and I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't just hold him and make everything okay. There was quite the dramatic difference in him and the other babies in the NICU. The others were preemies, maybe 3 pounds, all lined up in their incubators, and then at the end of the line was this monster 8 pounder! And the parents of the teeny ones were holding up very well, and we were basket cases. Crying all of the time. It wasn't a fun time for us! All of his tests came back negative. There wasn't any infections, nothing bad. So he was able to come home on Wednesday afternoon. I know, not a long time, but it seemed like FOREVER.
Since then Noah has had his fair share of medical drama, but, he is the best boy ever. Everyday is just such a new experience with him. He's generally a very happy boy. And so funny. He's always laughing and joking around. He's such a boy. Loves everything boy. I don't know where I would be without him. I can't imagine life without Noah. I wouldn't want to imagine life without Noah. It wouldn't be life. He brings so much joy to our family. He is the sweetest, most grateful kid ever. Even after tantrums and fits, it's hard to be mad him. He looks at your with this sweet look that so hard to resist. He always says thank you and tells us he loves us many time a day.
Oh, Noah. You're great. I could go on and on about you. Seriously, I could. But I hope that you have a great birthday. Your Mamma and Daddy love you so much. And your sister adores you. Have a great 4th year. You're the best son anyone could ask for. I'm so glad to be your Mamma.
WE LOVE YOU NOAH!

6 comments:

Frankman's said...

What a cute collage of pictures!!

Talia said...

Happy Birthday Noah! Can you believe how fast our kids grow up? Sad, huh. I'm going to cry my eyes out when Kayla turns 5 next year and starts going to school. Those pictures of Noah are so cute. Did I see a bra on his head?! Funny kid. I didn't know he was in NICU when he was born. That must've been scary! We both know how that can be....

brittanyandtravis said...

I love reading labor stories, weird I know. Thanks for sharing! All those pictures of Noah are adorable too.

Toni said...

YAY! Happy Birthday Noah! Way cute pics. I love the one where he is wearing the Mr Potato Head glasses.

brittanyandtravis said...

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Noah's birthday, but I saw this and thought you might be interested.
http://familyleader.info/petitions/petition_5.php

Lefty said...

you had to do it, didn't you? won't you ever forgive me? and i didn't say it was "good" but that it was okay. the lady at the birthing class i went to said to do it. i didn't force it on you. you wanted one. come on. forgive me. i will never offer you candy again. i promise. please?