Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The happiest place on earth, huh?



As previously posted, we went to Disneyland. Yes, we go to Disneyland a lot. We live in California, and got our annual passes for a killer deal. And when I say killer, I really mean killer...three for under 100 bucks. That's another story for another time however. But, honestly, who would have passed up that offer? Anyway. On Friday it was the first day of the Christmas themed decor and festivities. You'd think the Christmas spirit would be in full force, especially at Disneyland, it is considered "The Happiest Place on Earth". That did not hold true this trip.

I was with the kids while Adam went on the roller coaster at California Adventure. We were in line for the new Toy Story ride. It was popular one since it's new and all. So the line is pretty long. Noah is quite the doddler. He kind of is in his own world sometimes. He gets easily distracted, a lot like his parents, actually. So, he plays with the chains and ropes while in lines, and doesn't really pay attention. I'm always calling him to join us in the line. And since I'm pretty pregnant, and was holding Macie, I wasn't caring about it too much. I mean, we're in a line, it wasn't moving very fast, and we weren't going anywhere. So I let him be slow. A lady behind me was in line alone. I guess she had just had it. Noah caused us to fall about 4 feet behind the next in line, and she let me know. She said, "We're in a line, you need to move." Of course I apologized. I have a problem with saying sorry to anything and everything. Most of the time I probably shouldn't be sorry for it, but I feel like I have to say sorry anyway. So the next time I made sure there was no space between us and the people in front of us. But it was just too much, having to say, "Noah, come on" every minute got old. And again, I found ourselves with a few feet distance. I mean, it's a few feet. Who cares? Well, the lady behind us did. "Excuse me...you have to move," she said. We're in a line, right?? Along with being pregnant, I get really annoyed. And, Cory and my Mom can attest to this, I get kind of mean to people that make me mad. I don't hold it in. I don't know if it's a pregnancy thing, or just a Disneyland thing, but if people do something to make me mad, I let them know it. So I turned to the lady and said, "We're in a line...you aren't going anywhere, deal with it." She looked at me like I was this evil person. It was funny. People around me were cheering me on and telling me good job...oh good times. But the story gets better. Remember, this lady was in line alone. We waited in line for a good 40 minutes. And she stood there by herself. We were very close to the front of the line, probably had to wait another 5 minutes, and who shows up? Ten of her family members. Yes...10 of them. She let 10 people cut with her in line. And she was so upset about us leaving a small little gap in a line that wasn't going anywhere anyway? Oh, people make me so mad sometimes! So, that was the first encounter. Don't worry, it doesn't stop there.

Toy Story is a 3D ride. You wear glasses and "play" carnival games in 3D. It's fun. And the glasses are cool. What little kid doesn't like to wear 3D glasses? When we approached the glasses bin, Macie insisted we get come for Daddy, eventhough he wasn't riding with us. We had four pairs of glasses. Macie loves to wear sunglasses. In fact, she wears Adam cool safety sunglasses to church. She just loves to wear glasses. After the ride, you are supposed to deposit your glasses into a bin so they can clean them and whatnot. Macie refused to give up hers. And she had to give Daddy his. And instead of fighting with a kicking 2 year old kicking my very pregnant belly, I let her take them. No one stopped me. Disneyland has many many cameras all around, places that you wouldn't expect. If they had a problem with her taking the glasses, I'm sure they could have stopped us. They probably cost them, what? 10 cents maybe? Not much. I'm sure they get taken everyday, and Disney doesn't even blink an eye at it. It's inevitable. So we took 2 pairs of glasses. I know, I know...I'm encouraging a thief. So, Adam took Macie to ride on a ride and I took Noah to the potty. As we were leaving the bathroom, a boy walks up to the stroller, and looks at the stolen 3D glasses and asks me, "Weren't you supposed to return those?" He was maybe 13 or so. I don't know why he even asked me about it, really. And I explained to him that if he was pregnant, and had a screaming 2 year old and a 4 year old running away, he would take them too to avoid any further disaster. This boys mother, however, piped up and had the nerve to say, very loudly mind you...to make sure I heard her, "That is the reason Disneyland prices keep going up, they have to replenish things like that when mother's don't watch their kids." The nerve! And then she grabbed the glasses out of the stroller. Out of our personal space. What in the heck was she going to do with them? So, I grabbed them out of her hands, and was like excuse me, what are you doing? And then walked off. Who does that? First, her son comments about what is in my stroller...none of his business anyway, and then the mom takes my things? I know they aren't rightfully mine, but still. Disneyland prices keep going up, because they can. People will still go anyway, why not get the most money they can. Those glasses are not a concern to them! Anyway...interesting.

And then the end. This is becoming a longer post than I intended, sorry. I just thought the stories were funny. But at the end of the night, we really didn't feel like fighting through the seas of people with our double jogger, so we opted to ride the train around the park that would drop us off at the front of the park, thus avoiding all of the people. We had the double stroller, and I have a big belly. We asked a ride train guy if we could just wait in the exit for the next train so we wouldn't have to carry the fricken huge stroller up the stairs to the train station. He said that it would be totally fine, since people probably wouldn't be getting off since the park would be closing soon. So, we waited the 7 minutes for the next train. The train lady on this train wasn't so nice. She told us that the Exit was for handicapped people only. Not for strollers. She was pretty rude about it. And wouldn't let us on. She told us we'd have to go wait in the other line for the next train. It wasn't a big deal, we were going to do it, and then she grabbed Adam's arm. She's like you need to go over there. You don't touch people. Did she think he didn't understand, and had to physically move him over that direction? He's 31 fricken years old! Technically, she shouldn't have even touched him anyway, for harassment issues and things. As soon as Adam pulled his arm away, I think she realized what she did was pretty stupid, and she let us on the train anyway. It was funny. Maybe we should write a letter to Disneyland. Maybe we'd get lifetime passes to avoid any further legal procedures?! Just kidding. It was just funny how our day went, and that was the end of it. Kind of a weird Disneyland experience. No Christmas spirit that night. And obviously no Disney spirit either.
People these days.

5 comments:

The Critchlow Family said...

Wow, what a day! You would think people would be more understanding. Especially if they have kids. That kind of stuff makes me really mad too. It gets me fired up!! I'm glad you stood up for yourself. People need to realize when they are being ridiculous!!

I can't believe you haven't had that baby yet!! I keep checking your blog hoping for some BIG news! Good luck with it all!!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Those stories were so funny! They probably weren't so funny to you at the time. I can't believe that lady snatched the glasses back.

We definitely want to plan a trip to see you guys some time next summer. I've never been to disneyland and I really want to go before Lucy turns three. She would love to meet all the princesses.

carol said...

Lindsay, you go girl!! Teach those Truly Obnoxious Disneyland revellers about civility, and what doesn't pass for good manners! Your retelling of the day was hilarious! Wow, Disneyland's happy spot must have been under Grumpy's spell that day! And the very weird Mother/Son duo! And her comment about the 'stolen' sun glasses causing spiraling prices! Thank you Whacko Mother and Son, for your economic tutorial. Can it be that Macie is behind more than just Disneyland's current inflatonary woes? Oh that Macie is so bad!!
Carol/Nana

brittanyandtravis said...

I'm crazy when I'm pregnant. Travis really doesn't like me interacting with strangers since every little thing makes me mad and I say something about it. You're stories made me laugh. Some people just don't get it. I can't believe how self righteous and self involved some people are. I'm glad you said something to them. And I would have been SO upset with someone taking things out of my stroller! I would also write a letter to Disneyland about the lady grabbing Adam's arm. But then again, I am a big letter writter.

carol said...

I second Brittany's motion that you write Disneyland about the employee grabbing Adam's arm. Seriously. But not so seriously, maybe you'd receive a series of free passes that extend even to your in-laws.:)
Carol