Sunday, November 2, 2008

My seamstress adventures...

I just got a sewing machine about a year ago. It was killer deal at Walmart. Open box...no box, really...and they sold it to me for 30 bucks. All of the attachments and everything. I was pretty excited. I made curtains for every room in our old house. I sewed Macie a Halloween costume last year. She was Tinkerbell. It was my first pattern experience. Which I learned that I'm not a good pattern sewer. I just like to look at things and figure out how to make it. But, then I sewed Macie a few skirts. Made a few blankets. My lines are getting straighter. So, I decided I would venture into actual dress making. I found this tutorial for a peasant top and decided to give it a go. I made it into a dress and changed the top a little bit. But it turned out pretty well, I think, anyway! It looked a lot like a mu mu at first, but with a little ribbon and making it shorter, it changed it. {In the first picture, she looks very sad. She was very tired, and was mad that I took the purple sweater off.}



Posted by Picasa


It was pretty easy to make the dress, and I can't even sew, really. And it was very cheap. I already had the elastic and thread, and the fabric was on sale for $2.50/ yard. You can't beat a $2.50 dress! I'm going to attempt to make her a Christmas dress now. Without a pattern...we'll see how it turns out. I'll post the pictures of it, if it works, that is.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

It's WAY cute! Way to go, Linz! I'm super impressed! (can you tell from all the exclaimation points?)!!!

Natalie♥ said...

That is the cutest little dress, I love it!! And your belly even cuter! I can't wait to see your new baby, I bet you are so ready to be done being pregnant it gets that way in the end doesn't it? Good luck to you I hope it goes perfect.

brittanyandtravis said...

The dress looks fantastic! What website did you find it on?

Robinson said...

The dress looks great on Macie! I'm excited to see your future projects. I recently got a sewing maching but I've only been able to make a rag quilt so far. I have been secretly reading your blog since I found it a few weeks ago. Looks like the Christensen family is doing great. I'm glad I've found your blog!

Toni said...

SOOO cute! I am really impressed by your crafty Mormon Mom-ness. Maybe someday I can be a good Mormon Mom too. You've inspired me.

Talia said...

Cute dress! It looks adorable! You did a really good job. Can you email me the tutorial link? I haven't tried dresses yet. I have a pattern for one sitting in my sewing box since Kayla was about a year old. Maybe now I'll try it for Lauren!