Can you believe this?? People are actually protesting at the LA Temple against Prop 8. Okay...for one thing, it's done. The voting is in...it passed. There isn't anything you can do about it. And they are using the argument that the church has donated 15 million dollars toward the Yes on 8 campaign. Ooh...this really gets to me. I'm like so mad about it. I've never been the kind of person to get so involved with something before. I actually have an opinion. I never knew that I did. I get so emotional about this. When my mom called to tell me about the protest happening right now at the temple, I wanted to cry. My eyes teared up, and I tried so hard not to cry. How can you blame the church for it? Church members in the state of California make up 2% of the population. Yes, just 2. Where did the rest of the 55% come from? They are saying that we changed the wording to deceive people to say yes. Come on. The way it was written on the actual ballot made it totally sound like it was a bad thing. Seriously when I looked at it, I almost questioned it. It was pretty deceiving itself! And that was the ballot itself! Jeez...it's just ridiculous to point the "blame" on the church. We stand for something, and that's a good thing. If we don't stand for something, we'll fall for anything, which is exactly what these protesters are doing. A comment was made on the article that I have linked that reminded people that the church may have made contributions, but what "famous" person in Hollywood endorsed the Yes on 8? How many people publically, over national television, promoted the No? Anyway...enough of my rant. All I have to say is, we won. What are you gonna do about it?
1 week ago









4 comments:
That is unbelievable. I also am disgusted that the ACLU has filed 3 lawsuits! The people have spoken twice with the same answer but that apparently isn't good enough for people anymore. Being able to vote and choose your leaders and laws is only applicable if it goes the way you want it to anymore.
First: I like your background. I also like your music. It makes me want to drive around town with you, the windows down, music up, sans children...and just drive. ...Maybe to Target?
Second: Yes, I went to the "campaign courage" website. I took a look at their videos. It's amazing: Zion won a battle, a big one. Evidence: the Adversary is gnashing teeth so hard right now.
Thanks for letting me know the stats on church membership/Californian demographic. I was thinking it couldn't be too high of a percentage. And I think most Californians know what is yes and what is no. They've been talking about it for a LONG time.
I totally agree with you Lindsay, it's ridiculous. Like you said, only 2% of the population is LDS and I doubt every single one of those peole voted Yes on it. And even if they did where did the other %53 Yes votes come from? It's just easy to use the LDS church as a scapegoat because people think we're weird anyways. Plus, I doubt think we have that much influence on people to change %53 of people minds. Either you're LDS and voted Yes or you're not LDS and were not swayed by our opinion.
I enjoyed your post! I have had the exact same feelings about all the protests this week. Today our services were actually cancelled because of a protest outside of the Oakland temple. There have been many times this week when I have asked myself, Why do they think that their vote should be worth more than mine?! We will see what happens...but thank you for the encouraging post for all of us that voted Yes on 8!
Post a Comment