I thought I'd be straight forward with the topic of my post. Many may choose not to read it. Adam hates when I talk about it. But I need advice. I have successfully nursed two babies. Macie I nursed for 22 months. But, this time around it isn't easy. Jacob is a good little eater. He nurses just fine. No problems latching or anything, it's me. It hurts SO bad. I cringe every time he starts nursing. And on one side, I'm near tears the entire nursing duration, which is 20 minutes for my little milk monster! What should I do? I was a little sore and sensitive with the other two, but not for this long. I don't want to stop nursing. I love nursing. But, I don't want to be in pain. Any suggestions??
1 week ago









12 comments:
My suggestion: a nipple shield. You can buy one at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. I used a shield with Bekah because she had problems latching; I didn't need to with Analee because she latched on just fine. But because I didn't use a shield with Ana, I hurt too. Like crazy. It just took some time (and a little reprieve from the shield), and it got better.
Sorry, I can't help you. I don't even know why I have nipples.
I agree with the nipple shield option. Although this is my third baby I've nursed, Lauren has a CRAZY strong latch so I cracked bad with her. I somehow made it through that newborn stage, but just recently cracked again- and she's four months old!! I wasn't healing and in terrible pain, so I tried a nipple shield (I used one with Kayla) and can nurse with almost no pain at all! They have them at Toys R Us, Target, etc. http://www.target.com/Medela-Nipple-Shield/dp/B000067PQ0/sr=1-2/qid=1230926939/ref=sr_1_2/175-5925262-1182807?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Anipple%20shield&page=1
The brand is "Medela" and you usually find them by the bottles, pacifiers, etc. Newborns can get nipple confusion from them, but you can just use it for part of the nursing if you're worried. Besides, a little extra work getting them to nurse without it is worth it to me!! Good luck! And congrats on baby Jacob- he is adorable!!
P.S. You can also try a little Ibuprofen for the pain- that helps too...
I'd call your doctor and get the number for the local lactation specialist. They were very helpful when I had problems with Shelby - they can check to make sure Jacob is latching on correctly, sometimes it seems like babies are and then aren't - you'll probably score a free nipple shield too! Good luck!
I have heard the nipple shield works great! Do you use lanolin cream before and after nursing? I had to use that stuff it worked really good for me. And make sure you don't have an infection, or a yeast infetion in there because that can be very painful.
Kim?
That's funny, Adam. I just read this now and was reading the comments and about to comment and then I see your comment. So hear is mine:
I agree with Mrs. Rosenlof; I think you should see a Lactation Consultant in your area to make sure his latch is correct. Also, the specialist will be able to take a look at your nipple and see any problems with the skin and recommend the appropriate treatment.
Another option, in addition to see a lactation consultant is to see a dermatologist, like Talia (our sister-in-law--not our dear Idaho friend) did for her exzema.
Oh, and Adam: breast, boob, nipple, teat, milk, and moo.
hey lindsay! its erica, your cousin. haha. jacob is darling darling! okay, about the nursing...i was so sore with ivy for quite awhile, i used the lanolin regularly and it did nothing for me. finally my friend called and told me about "newmans nipple ointment" its a rx and alot like the lanolin (only a few pharmacies in the salt lake valley have it) but you should be fine to find it there?..anyway call your doctor and ask about it. it seriously changed my life, it helped so much! hope all is going well other than that. ahh...so glad im past that toe curling pain. there is nothing worse than that. hope to see you guys soon!
I can offer no words of wisdom that aren't already covered here. So I will just say I have great sympathy for you and hope you find the best solution soon. I think you are an awesome Mom. xoxo
Good luck! With Keely I had the same problem and nothing helped much. It just took some time. Hopefully some of these suggestions will work well for you!
I was having trouble nursing Megan for the last week and I didn't remember it hurting so bad with Hailey. When we went in for a check up (because she was a little jaundice) the lactation nurse watched me nurse Megan and she noticed that she wasn't getting a deep enough latch and that's why it was hurting so bad. She gave me a few tips and it's been much better since then. I would see a lactation nurse if you can. They might give you an idea you haven't thought of yet. Hope it gets better.
Post a Comment