Monday, January 12, 2009

Poor Jacob.

We took Jacob to the doctor this morning, poor kid. Last night he was miserable His breathing got worse, and he was so wheezy. And, I KNEW he was sick when he didn't wake up to eat. He last ate at 11, and didn't wake up until 4 to eat, and then only ate for like 10 minutes. I shouldn't be complaining, but I still didn't sleep, anyway! I slept with him on the couch. Our couch is comfortable, but not to sleep on, knowing that your little tiny baby is sick and can barely breath. I was up just listening to him breath. It was so sad. Our appointment was at 8:50, we were in there pretty quick, which was SO different than the last appointment we had! The nurse weighed him...10 pounds 12 ounces! He has gained nearly two pounds in a week! That's my boy! But, his oxygen levels were good, so that was a relief. And then doctor came in. You know it's bad when he sighs when he listens to his lungs. He said he had bronchilitis. Which, is exactly what Noah had before he got RSV when he was a baby. My sister said it perfectly, she said we need to have summer babies so we don't have to worry about the RSV and flu like these winter babies do. But, the doctor ordered a chest x-ray and an RSV test to make sure he didn't have it. They did a breathing treatment, and prescribed more albuterol, since we already had the nebulizer {thank goodness for Medicaid when we had Noah...it was free!!} So now we have to wait for the x-ray results to make sure it's not pneumonia, give him breathing treatments every 4 hours, give him prednisolone for his breathing, and an antibiotic. The bag from the pharmacy weighed about as much as he did! Poor little guy. He's only 3 weeks old. He's been so good though. He didn't cry for the x-ray, and only gave a little peep when they stuck the swab up his nose for the RSV test. He just doesn't want to eat, and that is so not like him! Hopefully he'll get better very soon, and his appetite will increase. I'm not liking this sudden drop in feedings, really. It was funny though, at the doctor. I guess RSV isn't common around here. In Idaho, you hear about it all of the time. A lot of winter babies get it. But, here it is very uncommon. But since it has been so uncharacteristically cold, it is a more common sickness this year. Dang RSV.

4 comments:

Natalie♥ said...

That's not good!! I was going to ask if you had an rsv test done. Watch for his nostrils to flare and his chest to cave in, if it is then you need to worry. I hope he gets better soon, try to feed him lots and put him in a bathroom with the hot shower running the steam will help him breath better. Or put him in the bathroom to sleep with the door shut and the humidifier going because it's a smaller room and the humidity will be stronger, it will help a ton. O yeah and use lots of saline in his nose and suck it out a lot. Pat on his back lightly to loosen the junk in his lungs that will also help. Those are just some tricks I learned when I worked in pediatrics at the hospital and rsv was everywhere. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

brittanyandtravis said...

I hope he gets better soon and it isn't RSV!

Toni said...

Aww. Poor Guy. Hope he gets feeling better soon!

Talia said...

Poor Jacob! I feel for you too. It's so hard when your kids are sick- and especially when he's so little! My kids got sick too this last week- must be the cold CA spell we got. Darnit! Poor Lauren's got a scratchy cry so I know her throat hurts. Poor little things. Hope you all feel better soon!