To prove I'm not all "shock and aw" I'll first say that although I only post once in a while (calling the world to repentance and announcing the birth of another better looking child than yours) I did go over the content of this blog with the Mother who once told me the three things you never talk about in public. She asked for a copy of the flier to give a tongue in cheek idea to their Activities Committee chair in their Ward.
It was dark as I walked back home from the mailbox and I could barely make out the large, card-stock message on the front but did make out "Sex, Love and Intimacy" written against a romantic sunset backdrop with a couple in embrace. Well, they got my attention - is this some ad for Viagra? Flipping to the back I was amazed that this came to our doorstep so as to entice people to come to a local Church where "Sex, Love and Intimacy...3 things you SHOULD talk about at Church" was written across the top line of their propaganda. I call it so because let's call the shovel a shovel and whereas the world is in a spiritual famine and when the "word" or the everlasting waters seems all dried up and there are no more Prophets by our own presumed authority to say so, these tactics of separating themselves from the whole, something "new" and unlike any other Church are what it takes to bring people to Church and ultimately to Christ. I assume they're a Christian Church, the only mention of spiritual matters is two sentences of an already cluttered, small font on a large 8 x 5 card:
-From the Pastor steering this inspired ship, amidst reciting the same saving doctrines that, he exclaims with authority and conviction, SHOULD be talked about at Church "No matter where you are at in the Journey [capitalized to capitalize on the name of his Church - the Journey Church] with God, he is up to something good in your life."
and the second brief utterance of anything spiritual (cause no-one seems to be interested in that anymore anyways)
-Written in a list box as the last saving hope to draw people to come and share in the new and fun experience, and written I'm guessing as a matter of second importance below the first bullet point "Great Live Music", what follows say's "Relevant Messages from the Bible" and after that follows 5 more bullets (my personal favorite- "No Pressure, No Hassles, No Asking For Money"). Still not sure if this is a Christian Church, but so marches the great arm of political correctness, don't want to offend a Jew by shutting them out, maybe this will trick one of them into coming and see how refined we are...
Well whatever final resting stop the Journey takes them on I'm sure he's enjoying the ride. To help their cause, I will list a few upcoming meetings:
"Jan 25 Restoring Real Love and Intimacy" [first time I've ever seen the word 'restore' used religiously in this fashion]
"Feb 1 Faithful Attraction: Bringing Real Life to Your Sex Life"
Lastly I'll just share one more in hopes to stir up the hearts of many to follow the example of Christ into the waters of Baptism "Feb 8 Great Sex: Real Advice On Having the Best Sex"
My own Commentary: I've often wondered after November 5th how other Churches are still able to teach how awful the Mormons are and what a Cult they are for doing so much for protecting Marriage! "Those over-achievers - don't they know they don't need to work for their Salvation? Sit back and relax, and by the way, the real Christ loves us so much that we don't need to persuade anyone to live a life of righteousness, but they wouldn't know that, they're not elitist like I am, I've got it made - what an awesome god! he chose me above billions - how merciful and perfect is his unconditional Love!!!"
Now this - a revelation as of one speaking from the dust of the ground - it's revolutionary and yet, a real restoring:
"...And others will he pacify, and lull them away to carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well-and thus the Devil cheateth their souls, and lead them away carefully down to hell." (2 Nephi 28:21)
And from Bruce R. McConkie "Accordingly, anytime men can devise a system of worship that will let them continue to live after the manner of the world, to live in their carnal and fallen state, and at the same time one which will satisfy their innate and instinctive desires to worship, such, to them, is a marvelous achievement." (BYU Speeches 1/10/84)
I won't go into other scriptures of debate - only commend anyone of that spirit and attitude to read for themselves the whole of Romans, the whole of 1 John, then read the book of James which Martin Luther (Father to 'Justification by Faith [his addition:] alone') called it "A Book of Straw" because this brother of the Savior left words that contradict the scattered and isolated scriptures that made up the new justification without any works on our part, nor personal discipleship.
Can anyone tell me what "Non-Denominational" means anyways? How about the seemingly oxy-moronic notion of "Christian Rock" - the Apostle Paul and Elvis are both rolling in their graves... No, I'm not perfect, and guess what, I also slurp my soup - please judge me on this as well because when Salvation is free to the extent that we don't need to refine personal morals and ethics, it is then that we have a right to condemn and judge. Aw [personal] justification! I'm going to Church first and foremost to distance myself from the stigmata of being a hypocrite. Though it haunts me, I have hope that better things then Sex are being taught in Church, how about "Sanctification"? One more plug: "Feb 15 Being Intimate: Practical Steps to Deeper Understanding" and in our Church: "Feb 15 The Infinite, Eternal and Intimate Atonement: Sacred Steps to Deeper Understanding of the Mysteries of God"
I sincerely pray that Sex is not being talked about so candidly and in replacement to the written word, no Church aught to use as tactic worldly allurements before the Savior. The worlds conception of sex is skewed, I wouldn't introduce a new "Quit Smoking" class by dangling tobacco from the door jamb. The word is strong enough that if the honest and true are to follow the Shepard, they will know His voice and we don't need to re-design the facade in anyway. The sad truth is that few there be that find Him and are able to learn spiritual truth through spiritual means - the Lords ordained method for learning (see 1 Corinthians 2:10-13).
These are my own personal views, get over them if you can.
1 month ago









2 comments:
Oh, why do our families have to live so far apart? You and your wife are such a breath of fresh air. I love reading your blog (I personally hate that word it should be called something more dignified but for lack of a better word I will just call it what the world calls it blablabla blog) I know your wife and I would be great friends, she sounds amazing!!!
I am so happy you posted this - however, I am now wondering if you are the Gospel Doctrine teacher in your ward. It is so nice to see other members of the gospel filling their thoughts with things of the gospel and applying it in all aspects of their lives. Most would have just discarded the pamphlet and not really thought much about it. You saw it and saw it as just another tool Satan was using to take control of this world. And instead of throwing it away you used it as a teaching tool or an interesting read for us your readers. You see it for what it really is, "propaganda" or their marketing ploy to get money, even if there is no pressure to give some (hmm mm, ya right). You have no qualms with calling it what it is. And then you apply it directly to the fullness of the gospel proving it has nothing to do with anything, “virtuous, lovely or of good report”. I love it, you rock!!!!
But hey sex sells, and this church/pastor just want a piece of the power it will bring. I am sure many will run, swarm, or whatever to this church because the leader is willing to invite their sins to be full participants in this religion. These same people would “fly to pieces like glass”, if they were ever told they were sinners.
I just read in the news the other day that Larry Flint was asking the government for a bailout due to copy right infringement; supposedly the magazine industry is going bankrupt. My first thought was huh, whatever, but as my husband and I read further it isn't because people aren't buying sex anymore they are just getting it from other forms, more accessible forms. i.e. the internet. Larry Flint wants the money to put stricter restrictions on the internet. Just you watch and see the government will give that industry the bailout because lets face it, it is the last days and Satan has taught the people to seek after riches and power. More control over internet downloading will give the PEOPLE of the GOVERNMENT the power they desperately seek after. And to them they could careless if the industry is a corrupt evil one because Satan has successfully taken anything sacred about sex away. Sex to the world is just like shaking hands with someone. The government will give it to them because those in the government are there for power and they will find power and lots and lots of $$$ in SEX. Just another way our freedoms will be gradually taken away. People in the world today have no idea what Freedom really means or see Virtue as something to be desired!
Thanks for the post; it was a great read! I can’t wait to see what Adam posts next!
Excellent post, Adam, I especially enjoyed reading Elder McConkie's quote. Your postcard is another evidence of the Great and Abominable....
I'm waiting for your scanned 5x8 postcard, so that I can share its ideas with our Activities Committee or even perhaps the Ward Mission Leader! j/k
The three things to never talk about in a social gathering: religion, sex, politics.
Post a Comment