
Every office has one. But, since we aren't coffee drinkers, we don't realize how hot the hot side actually gets. Macie is a very defiant girl. If she wants something, she's determined to find a way to get it.
Yesterday was quite a day. I'm trying to get all my Christmas shopping done, which is hard when the people I'm shopping for are with me all day everyday. So, their cousin Rylee is getting a lot of presents again this year! That's what they think anyway, and they seem fine with it. Hopefully it'll work again this year! That's what we did all morning. Shopped. We went to Kohls. We went to Michaels. We went to Target. All with screams and unwillingness to shop. A little stop at Target for popcorn and pop, er soda as it's called here, and we were good! And then we got home.
Noah has been a little sick the past few days. He's been complaining about a sore throat. We didn't go to church on Sunday, and he did start coughing a little bit. But I had to get things done, so I had to take him along with me. When we got home, I was upstairs folding my endless mounds of laundry. We are trying to get Noah to just wear underwear all of the time, and not diapers at night. With that, however, lots of laundry is added to the already heaping pile. I don't know what it is, but I think our family should win an award for the most laundry in a week. I swear. So, I was sorting and folding laundry. And I hear Noah coming upstairs telling me that he's thrown up. I thought that maybe he was sicker than I had originally thought. I went down, and sure enough, he had thrown up all of the couch, all over him, the floor, and even Macie. It wasn't a pretty sight. Then Noah told me that he swallowed a coin. A coin?!?! What kind of coin? At first he said it was quarter, but then it changed to a penny. There wasn't any coins in his puke, which made me worried. Was it lodged in his throat or something? He sounded fine when he breathed, a little wheezy, but he had been already. He was eating something, so he didn't have any problems there. So I called my mom. She thought I should call the doctor. I called the doctor, they told me that sometimes when you swallow coins it could be like drinking car battery fluid, and could really mess up your insides. Okay, that's not what I needed to hear. He has swallowed pennies before. I didn't know at the time, just later on when I found them in his diaper. So I know he's passed them, but to hear this and be 9 months pregnant, I freaked out. I made the appointment to see the doctor at 3. My appointment was at 3:45, just across the street. We got to Adam's office around 2:30, and we decided that he probably didn't need to see the doctor. He'd probably pass the coin soon enough. He wasn't having any problems with it. And we have new insurance so x-rays aren't covered yet, not until we reach the deductible for him, so we opted out of the doctor. It's now about 2:45, Adam is on the phone cancelling the appointment. Noah is crying because he wants to see his doctor {he's a strange one, he is}, and Macie is missing. And then I hear the scream.
Not the regular Macie scream. The scream that means pain. Usually I hear this when Noah is tormenting her. So I knew something was wrong. She ran out of the break room in Adam's office, and kept saying, "Hot, Hot!" Her hand was a little red. I knew she had played with the water cooler, and done opposite of what we always tell her, and pulled on the red handle. We have told her time and time again not to touch that, it could cause owies. But, she had to learn that the hard way, that girl. We hurried and put water on it, and then a frozen burrito. {You make do with what you have!} I went to the drugstore to get an ice pack so Macie could stay with Adam while I took Noah with me to my doctor appointment. She is still crying. But, she held that burrito on it pretty well. Finally, she stops crying, and we got to the office. One of Adam's bosses, says we should just run it under cold water. So, after 15 minutes of that, it just keeps getting redder and redder. I decided to take her to my appointment. Both kids. What was I thinking anyway? Macie screamed and cried the whole time. Obviously in pain. I looked at her hand again, and blisters were forming. Great. That water is pretty dang hot! The nurse was very nice at the OB GYN. She called a pediatrician for me just to get advice. They said she probably would need a prescription for burn cream, but there really wasn't much to do, just don't pop the blisters. Macie still screamed, and the blisters got bigger.
We waited in the office for a while, only to find out both doctors in the office were at the hospital with emergency c-sections. I wouldn't get checked today. And that isn't what I wanted to hear, dangit. But, I took the news and left with my screaming children. By now Macie's blisters were huge. The doctor was booked and not taking any more patients. Our co-pay for the doc is 20 bucks...urgent care is 50. What would they have done. We know what it needs. Burn cream and a little gauze. I took the kids home, and Macie fell asleep, probably just in so much pain, but she's a trooper, she is. She slept through me getting her in the car as we went to get Adam from work. We stopped at Wal-Mart, got some burn cream over-the-counter, and headed home. Her blisters had gotten even bigger. She has two huge ones, full of crap, about the size of two dimes. And then littler ones along her fingers. Poor girl. We wrapped it up, and she seemed to be okay with it.
The moral of the story is, those water things are VERY hot. When they say "CAUTION: HOT!", believe them. It's not a trick. They are hot. We had quite the day. Hopefully today will be a little better, but I am hoping for a baby, however, that may make yesterday seem like a cake walk! We'll see how it goes. As for my defiant children...they have to learn somehow, hopefully Macie has learned to listen to us first, though. It's hard, though, when they want to learn everything for themselves. Oh, the joys of motherhood. It isn't easy, but someone has to do it!
1 week ago









6 comments:
That is horrible!!! I use to work in the burn unit at the hospital and I have seen some nasty burns especially on little people's hands. Ouch!!! I hope both of your little ones get feeling better soon. And where in the heck is that baby? I want to see a picture of your 9 month pregnant belly :)
what an obscure day. i am sorry for all the dissapointments, hassles and pain. i hope everything ets better soon.
Ouch! What a crazy day!!! I hope Macie's hand gets better soon and Noah feel better too. And hopefully that baby will decide to come out soon!
Wow. I wish I lived close and could take your two cuties from you so you could rest before the big day...whenever that may be. You are such a trooper--that is who Macie gets it from. Well...keep on keepin' on. Life's a garden, dig it.
Love you, Kimberlee (and by the by, it's Schwiermann, not Shwiermann. doesn't bother me, but just in case you wanted to google stalk me or Geoff properly.)
That Macie is a survivor! Tell her I love her and wish I could kiss her ouwie! Tell her now her hand is bandaged just like Nana's. One must take care when in California!!
Carol/Nana
Kim...I totally knew how to spell your last name, I promise! Sorry!
Post a Comment