Wednesday, October 22, 2008

True Twilighter?



So, I did it. I finished the Twilight series. The last book is a killer. Pretty long. But, with my sleepless nights, I was able to finish it without any familial neglect! I know that I will probably get beaten up or something, but to be totally honest, I didn't like it. I loved the first book, Twilight. I couldn't put it down. It was well written, intriguing, and just a good book. And then the next book, New Moon, was good. But then the next two, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, kinda weren't good. Kind of cheesy.
I know, I know, the whole vampire story might seem a little cheesy to begin with, but the first book was so good. I was disappointed. I finished it last night, and then had to talk to my mom about the book. She read them and didn't like them either. She read Twilight a while ago, and didn't like it, so didn't start reading the next ones until just recently since everyone raved about them. But she said that the books after Twilight just seemed like Stephanie Meyer was writing to write something. Like they weren't as well thought out and written like the first book. And I totally agree. I know there are probably a lot of people who disagree, but I would have been just fine with the first book, and then been done. I guess I'm not a true Twilighter. I wanted to be one of you so bad...but I'm not. And I'm totally fine with it! But, I am still very excited about the movie. Only another month. And until then, I'll finish Harry Potter. Yes, yes, Adam has made fun of my reading level a hundred times. I'm the first to admit, I like the "juvenile" books, as they are labeled in Costco! It is what it is...I'm at least reading something!

6 comments:

Andrea Grover said...

I'm not even trying to be a Twilighter. As soon as I heard "vampire romance novel," I gagged and said, "Are you serious?!" I've steered clear ever since.

Lefty said...

Juvenille. They are good because generally they have good action, an interesting storyline, and don't have a bunch of sex or bad language in them. But if Adam likes the bad language and sex...that's his problem!
I have to acknowledge that the Twilight books aren't the best written books. I disliked the second book a lot, and liked the third. I thought it was interesting, however, how she wrote two characters voices in one book. I resisted the first twenty pages of Jacob's voice, but then relaxed and thought it necessary.
Anyway, I think it is great that you can disagree. Confidence, woman! Confidence.

Adam said...

Yes Kimberlee, the Scriptures do have some of that in them, but it also has much good that outweighs the bad.

Besides that though, I must confess I giggle a little when reading aloud references to Ass's. There's even one reference to a "dumb" ass.

Aside from that, Adam & Eve had a monster baby of their own, but that didn't turn out so cute...

Adam said...

Did I say "monster baby"? For those that haven't read book 4 page 157, in no way was this a spoiler...

I simply had reference to babies that are monsters, you know, monster babies. Funny eh?

Brooke said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I (like Andrea) avoided the Twilight books. I thought they were riciculous and wanted nothing to do with them! But, I also felt that way about Harry Potter at first (but for different reasons). I finally caved on Harry Potter because everyone said they were so good! And I LOVE the Harry Potter series! I made a deal with my friend that I'd read Twilight if she read Harry Potter. It's taken me about a month to get halfway through Twilight, and it's KILLING me! I'm not loving it. I'm not even intrigued. I'd be okay with myself (and actually a little relieved) if I never picked up the book again! But Shinae's reading Harry Potter, so I have to keep trying!! Ugh!

Lefty said...

Brooke--seriously, you got the better deal (though Harry Potter is WAY better than Twilight! There is no comparison): your friend reading seven books to your four. Though her being introduced into that wonderful fantasy world--I suppose she is better off, especially since you aren't enjoying your bargain.

Ha-Ha, Adam. Have you read Matt's email? Are you okay?