Sunday, October 19, 2008

Countdown to Voting (in order of importance)

Mom always told me not to talk about three things in public. Only, one to discuss with your spouse alone, another with fellow Church members, and the last only with fellow Republicans (there's irony there...). Well, the second rule can be debated because where would Missionary work be with that one, and, well, on the third rule: Republicans are looking more and more like Democrats these days anyways. Lately I've heard our Church leaders quote Harold B Lee quite a bit, so I grabbed a book of his of my bookshelf. For those Church members still questioning our efforts in Prop 8, I'd like to share this (lengthy I apologize) quote from President Lee on national morals:

"In our anxiety to fortify this land against any and all onslaughts from our enemies we must not overlook the fact that a nation's greatness is not measured by the vastness of its resources, nor by the grandeur of its empire, neither more by the extent of its population. Our strength will be determined alone by the use we make of our heritage. A nation is not an inanimate robot that moves with mechanical exactness to the performance of a given task as directed by a guiding genius. A nation is a pulsating mass of human beings who are banded together in a common cause. If the majority of these individuals choose to disregard civic virtues or Christian morality, then vice is rampant; if individual honesty, thrift, and sobriety and obedience to law are no longer enthroned as human standards and as such are not constantly taught in the church, in the school, and in the home, then that nation dwindles in unbelief." (The Teachings of Harold B Lee; page 355)

My Grandpa Frankman taught that a friend to all is not a friend to God, much the same language as James 4:4. Giving in to media attention and "evolving" with popular trends is dangerous, especially if we are being driven like a leaf in the wind in hopes another blind leaf will notice our colorful acceptable dying apearance. Politics are a personal thing is true, but so is the personal opportunity/obligation of teaching morals to our Children, and I don't like the idea of Home-School. Children are an heritage of the Lord, and in their innocent state, and before they discover intimacy, I will first teach mine the basics of life, how to get along, how to share, manners, acceptable and safe ways for enjoyment, etc. If Prop 8 fails, Public School teachers will thus, when teaching about Marriage, bring up this moral issue by being forced to uphold the law by saying same-sex marriage is normal. With little understanding, we could only see a world fall deeper and deeper into carnality.

At school, even at BYU, the debate of Nature vs. Nurture was brought up. A wise man (my Stake President at the time, John Galbraith) pointed out to me and others at a Stake Conference Adult Session that we are all born natural men. The debate is futile who is right...

We all have weaknesses, it's a by-product of our mortal existence. Then to say that you are born a certain way is not enough to justify one's sin. "Why am I this way?" is said by more then one with Homosexual tendnecies, it becomes for all to put that man of flesh off and become like God. This is the Plan of Happiness, calcuable for Eternal Life and directing us to those things that will make us free. The process of making Eternal Families, as directed by God, is the very Doctrine that God is Glorified. (D&C 132: 30-33, 63)

In this great land with all of it's defects, and when checks and balances don't always work (such is the case for Prop 8 when this States Judicial branch didn't uphold the popular voice of the people of a past law, 61% to be exact) we at this time still have the power to vote and make a Law that was already, a higher law, an Amendment to the wording of the State Constitution. Because I'm not one to rush into things, I'm going to the DMV tomorrow and getting a California State Drivers Liscense so I can register to vote (tomorrow is the last day you can register). I was hoping to wait until I could get down to the weight that my current license purports. I hope all will exercise their right in practicing Democracy at this time. In knocking doors around this city, I have taken strength to find that an overwhelming majority of the people I've come in contact with are voting "yes" on this great measure. I just wish I was this crystal on which man to vote in as our President, for this, I will gladly uphold my Mom's second rule...

5 comments:

The Woody's Fam said...

Amen, Amen, Amen! It is a happy day to see another member of this wonderful gospel so proudly stand up and live what the gospel is about - no matter the cost! I would imagine the time and place you live now are trying at best - with much persecution from even the people you considered to be Valiant members of Heavenly Father only true church. But I am in 100% agreement with everything that you posted (especially Grandpa’s teachings)! Prop 8 is an interesting and saddening topic; I would never have thought that so many members of this gospel would be so adamantly against it. For those that oppose it, I often wonder what attracted them to the gospel in the first place if they so easily fly to pieces like glass over following the Prophet of the Lord.

Even though I live in Utah - I know the importance of this passing and why it is so vital that all of the members in California do their part to make sure it does.

Hold strong to the truth! Thank you for all of your efforts - know that what you are doing is not being done in vain!

Natalie♥ said...

Just letting you know that you have been tagged:) Check out my blog for more info.

Lefty said...

That's my brother, folks.

Adam said...

I passed!!!

Talia said...

As a fellow Californian, I know how important Prop 8 is. It does seem like a majority of people are voting "yes." We can only hope! It still amazes me that fellow members think that upholding the traditional view and the sanctity of marriage is interferring and not the church's concern. But we have been asked to be a light and share our beliefs with others. Should we not continue to fight for righteousness???