Monday, October 6, 2008

Family Home Evening

How hard is Family Home Evening with toddlers? My goodness, trying to get them to hold still for any length of time is nearly impossible with my kids, anyway! I sadly admit that we didn't have a whole lot of Family Home Evenings in the past years. We occasionally did, but not as much as I know we should have. When we were in school it was always so busy, and we were always so exhausted, and then Adam was always working. I know, I know, I have lots of good excuses, but they don't account for it. We should have done it anyway! But, I am happy to report that we have FHE nearly every Monday now. I think we missed last week, because the kids and I weren't home. But it's actually getting easier. Maybe the kids are just getting older, but I like to think it's because we've gotten better at it! We involve the kids more. It's not a long lesson, just a basic, to the point lesson. Really, it's not for us, it's for them.
A few months ago, when we first moved here to Santa Maria, Adam came up with the best lesson. We learned about Samuel on the wall. We have a little balcony from upstairs looking over the family room. I was Samuel on the wall, and the kids tried to throw stuff at me. It was very effective. They loved throwing things at me, and then they both reenacted it for days following. And then that's when I decided that we needed to be more creative in our lessons.
I like to think that I'm creative and I can think of all these wonderful ideas for the kids. But I can't. It's harder than you would think! I want the lessons to be meaningful for them, but entertaining, too. And then, what do ya know? The church came out with a new nursery manual, Behold your Little Ones. I was pretty excited. These lessons are perfect for FHE with Noah and Macie. Just their attention span. We do add a few things because Noah is getting old enough to pay attention longer. But I love the activities that they have in there. When Adam's parents were here, we had a lesson on Following the Prophet. My kids LOVE the song Follow the Prophet. They are ALWAYS singing it. As soon as we get in the car they want it on. Macie gets a little jealous, however. There is a verse about Daddy, Noah and Jacob...but not Macie. She's always asking, "Me?" It's kind of sad. But anyway...for Family Home Evening, I got our picture of Joseph Smith when he was visited by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Noah loves that picture. But I don't think he understands that Joseph Smith is a prophet. I also got down the First Presidency picture. We played Follow the Leader to start off, sang Follow the Prophet, and then talked about how we follow the prophet, President Monson today. It was pretty short, but they were even asking questions. When that happens, I know they were listening. And it was something that they were interested in after the attention getter activity. So, I think everyone with little kids needs this lesson manual. Or, just get it online. It's great. Family Home Evening is fun for us now, it's not dreaded as we try to keep the kids quiet for a lesson. They enjoy it.

 

(Carol took the pictures of this particular FHE...usually we're too involved to take the pictures, so I'm grateful we have some!)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have about 30 photos of this Follow The Prophet FHE, and enjoy seeing the joyful, spontaneous fun and affection of you four! Clearly you ALL are so in love with each other! Noah and Macie feel so important, with tall Mom and Dad down on the floor at their world's position, learning gospel concepts in such a creative, memorable way!xoxo
Carol
aka Nana

Andrea Grover said...

I love, love, love the new nursery manual too. Usually we just read and talk about a story from one of the scripture readers for FHE, but last night we used Behold Your Little Ones for the first time. Not so successful with Analee (she's only 16 months old, after all), but a hit with Bekah.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Thanks for the idea! I need to get my hands on that new manuel. Sounds like we might have more luck using it!

Rachel said...

I totally know how you feel, there is a reason Micah's parents called it family home moment....just imagine Micah x3 as a child...he was a handful, they called him "Biter Budge" in Primary then he had his brothers..., anyway I digress, You just keep doing what your doing you will be surpised at how much they actually pick up. At this point, it is more the fact that you are having it to show them that it is important to spend time together as a family learning gospel principles no matter how small they are at first. Anyway, Good on YA! for tryin to do the right thing. It means more than you think bbx:)

Cole Family said...

Hey you guys look like you are doing well. Adam I lost your number. I got a new phone. E-mail me at babygorilla_44@hotmail.com