Thursday, March 26, 2009

A little girl needs our prayers...

When we lived in Palmdale, we knew an amazing family. They had three young boys, and a little girl. The little girl was in Macie's nursery, and the cutest little girl. She was very energetic and ALWAYS had a smile on her face. You can tell she is the princess in the family, of course, she is the only girl, but her brothers ADORE her.

But, I heard the most hearbreaking new yesterday. This little girl {who will remain nameless at this time} suffered a terrible accident. I don't know the complete story firsthand, so I don't want to butcher anything, but she was playing, as most little kids do, and somehow got a dog leash wrapped around her neck, strangling her. Her brothers found her lifeless. After her brave mother's attempt of rescue breathing failed, the paramedics were able to get a pulse after using the paddles to revive her. Obviously, the oxygen was cut off to her brain, and there is swelling. One lung collapsed, and there is still an excess of fluid in her lungs. She is a fighter, however. She woke up for a minute today, which is something that they didn't think would happen so quickly, but she woke up long enough to know that she wasn't at home, and start to take things out of her arms. Poor little girl. It breaks my heart to hear this story, and to even retell what I know of this story. Like I said, I don't know the COMPLETE firsthand story. The doctors don't know the extent of the damage to the brain as of yet, however, there is still some activity, which is a very good sign for this little girl.

I cannot even begin to fathom what this family is going through right now. Accidents are something that happen everyday. Accidents like this are so tragic and so heartbreaking. It takes just 6 minutes to cut off all oxygen to the brain resulting in death. Just 6 minutes. That is such a short time. It is not possible to watch your children 24 hours a day. You need showers. You need a bathroom break. The phone rings. The doorbell rings. A diaper needs to be changed. There are so many things that take you away from that constant watch over your kids. This little girl has such a brave mother, a mother who knew to give her daughter CPR. I don't know CPR. I have learned it time an time again, but I haven't really paid much attention, I just always thought in my head, that someone else would be there, it wouldn't just be me. But, that isn't always the case. I NEED TO LEARN THIS! The safety of my children depend on me. I need to be there for them when they need me the most, and in a time like this, that is when I need to be there for my children. What a scary situation to be in, and to be so helpless. My heart seriously aches for this poor family as they watch their daughter go through this ordeal, and not know the outcome, and not be able to make it all go away.

As I heard this tragic news, I instantly wanted to help. But, I am so far away. And then I realized that the most help this family and this little girl need right now is my prayers. My most sincere prayers and pleas to my Heavenly Father to spare the life of this gorgeous high spirited little girl. My prayers to help the doctors help her. My prayers to help her lungs function as they should. My prayers of comfort to the family to help them see God's hand in this and in everything. Our Heavenly Father has a plan for each one of His children. I pray that whatever the outcome may be, that will of our Heavenly Father will be seen. As members of the LDS church, we have also been given the most wonderful gift. The gift of the Holy Ghost to comfort us when we need comforted. This family needs comfort right now.

Please, pray for them. Pray for this little girl. She is a fighter, but she can't do it alone. I can't help them face to face, but I can help in prayers and in thought. And so can you.

4 comments:

cherished said...

I can't even imagine! Wow! I think it's right to pray for their comfort...The Lord knows all and knows what we need. It's tragic that something so serious can happen so quickly...My heart goes out to them

erica said...

oh my goodness....my prayers will be with this little girl and her family. how heartbreaking!

Andrea Grover said...

Seth read this last night and said, "Come here, Andrea. You're going to cry when you read this." He was right. It's sad to hear when bad things happen to good people, but you're right ... our prayers are needed and appreciated.

Rebecca said...

Thank you! I know their family is very grateful for all of the prayers in her behalf.