Friday, August 1, 2008

Potty Training.

Potty training is awful. Macie has gained interest in the potty. She wears panties a lot of the time, actually. She tells you when she feels like she has to go, and then sits on the potty for a little bit, and then gets bored. So she runs around, and usually just pees where ever. But, she has gone in the potty a few times, even pooped in the potty three times. That's pretty good, I think. But, Noah on the other hand, he still could care less. We have been potty training off and on for 2 years, and not once has he peed in the potty. What am I doing wrong? He really just doesn't care. I've given him lots of pretzels and sugary drinks, because I heard that's what makes you have to go the most...and then have him sit on the potty for ten minutes every 20 minutes, but he just holds it until I tell him he can get off the potty, he'll go somewhere, pee, and then tell me where he peed. It's so frustrating. Half the time he won't even tell me that he went...he just continues on his merry way, wet, but merry. Today, I was changing his disgusting diaper, and I just had it. I'm sick of changing three year old bums! I told him he's too old. He's done with diapers. Macie gets to wear them sometimes, but he's done. They are no longer for Noah. I put him in underwear and told him that if he pees on the floor, he has to clean it up. He's in charge of taking his underwear off and putting them in the hamper, he has to find new ones...and he has to wipe up any accidents. It's not even 12...he's had three accidents. And he cleaned them up. The potty was right next to him, he just won't sit on it. He actually had been sitting on it watching the Transformers cartoon. He had been there the whole show...nearly a half hour. He got off the potty when it was over, and then went. I'm going to go crazy. I have seriously tried EVERYTHING. He has a terrible diaper rash. It's yeast, but Adam wants me to say he has "jock itch." That's more manly. And everytime I have to change his diaper he just screams in pain. It's so sad...so I'm hoping that the pain he is experiencing will help out with the potty training. Who wants to have that pain? If he just went in the potty it would be all better. We'll see what happens! He gets lots of different toys if he would just go in the potty. Just once to start. Just once. How do people do it? I'm about to give up and just change his diaper for the rest of his life!

2 comments:

Seth said...

I recommend hitting your child. It worked really, really well for Bekah when she was potty trained. If they have an accident going "number one," then you use an open hand. If it's "number two," then you use a closed hand. There's no better way to get real results in potty training than corporal punishment. Also, shaming works well.

"And so I ask you this one question. Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?" - Bender

(Disclaimer: This post contains satire. I do not actually beat my children, nor do condone the beating of children, much.)

Talia said...

I hate potty training as well. I told my mom and grandma that I would rather go through 2 child births than have to potty train one child. I would also be willing to pay someone to potty train my child.

My mom insists it takes longer to potty train now because of our fancy disposable diapers. I have actually started using cloth diapers with Ella. Maybe that will help her potty train sooner than the other 2 did.

Clark is 4 and still has poop accidents. It's like he starts going and then stops because he doesn't want to take the time to sit on the toilet. I guess he doesn't realize that it actually takes longer to get cleaned up afterward...

Well, I wish I had some great advice but I don't. It is great that Noah is actually sitting on the toilet, though. Clark would always scream and scream and wouldn't sit, even a second.

I would recommend having someone else come for a day or two and help out. Someone who Noah will be more prone to listen to. That was what did it for Clark. He stayed with my mom for a few days and she had him sitting and going on the toilet. I was truly amazed. I guess he just couldn't say no to her!