Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Possible?

So, I need expert sewing advice. I called my mother, but it's hard to describe over the phone. So, I thought I'd get ALL the expert sewing advice I can! I have a new project in mind. Yes, I know...I have TOO many projects already. {I have recovered my chairs, by the way...I'm just waiting on the sanding and staining to be complete before the pictures!} But, back to this new project. I'm wanting to make Macie's room better. I found this:



However, I wish it was pink, and I don't want to pay 100 bucks for a duvet cover. And so, my question: Can I make something like that? Is it possible to just use cotton fabric and gather it like that? Or would it be too hard and totally not worth my time? I think that it would look so cute in her room, and then in pink...oh, it'd be perfect! I'm not a sewing expert by any means. I can sew a straight line, but I have been able to figure some things out. If it's possible I'll try it, but do I need like a special machine to do something like that? I may have high hopes, but it's worth the try!

4 comments:

frankman said...

I'm not a sewing expert either. However I say, sure you can. I would just make it bigger than you want and then just gather your little spots in a pattern like in the picture. Maybe I am over simplifying it, but I say go for it!

Lefty said...

I think you can just take some thread and gather the fabric across in the center. I can't tell what it looks like in the dead center of the gather, but I think this is very doable. Cute. Doesn't hurt to try: before buying yards of pink fabric, try it on a pillowcase. It doesn't have to be permanant, it's just thread and a needle going through an area. See if it makes that bunched look. If it does, I would mark straight horizontal and vertical lines on the fabric for a template of where you want the gathers to be. Good luck!

Heidi said...

I say go for it woman! I'd do just what Kim suggested. I might want to put into an embroidery hoop first though so it's easier to manage. Once you're done practicing, and ready to move onto the "real" thing, then maybe borrow someone's quilting frame so it's more secure and doesn't bunch up where you don't want bunching. Take it from me, you don't want to make it harder on yourself than you need to. Anything that will help you hold it taut will be a dream. :)
Good luck to you cutie!
Send me a picture when it's done. It sounds adorable. I do have to say that at first I thought you were going to try your hand at woodworking and make that elaborate headboard!

carol said...

This is a very feminine look! One way to achieve it is called "roushing" (spelling may be wrong, the u is long as in 'ruse'). You sew a shorter, thin piece of elastic onto (wrong side) fabric where you've penciled in your design (wrong side) line. Elastic is <> 1/2 length of penciled line so fabric will "roushe" or bunch up. I thought of doing this on my bedskirt, still undecided. I was told to space out my 'roushe' line design, then for every pucker area, cut, stretch and sew down elastic. Kind of like Austrian curtain panels but not so fussy.
I agree with Heidi--loved the headboard too! That could be Adam's project. :)