{I have totally neglected to even blog about this, and it happened so long ago! BUT...for more journaling reasons, really, I'll blog about it now...only about a month and a half later, but that's okay! I got the bill today, so I remembered very well...}
Every week we go with friends to the park. On the 14th of May, we went to the favorite park. It has like triple decker excitement, AND swings. The kids love this particular park. I was nursing Jacob and the kids were actively playing. All of the sudden Macie lets out an ear piercing scream. She does scream a lot, more than she should, but this scream was very different. I waited a second for her to come to me to tattle on some unsuspecting child, but she didn't, she just screamed. I handed the babe off an ran to her assistance. She was on the platform under the ladder to the slide screaming bloody murder.
I carried her to the benches and assured her that she was fine. The screaming stopped, but the sobbing did not. She didn't play after that. She just sat on the grass and cried. And then she tried to walk. She couldn't. She wasn't able to put any weight on her foot at all. It was so sad. She walked with quite the limp, more of like a hop, really. I felt awful. I kept telling her she was fine, but then I didn't think I was so sure anymore. I am kind of a paranoid mother, but there was something really wrong with this girl. So, we left the park.
I took her to Adam's office to see what he thought. He thought I should take her in. I called the doctor, but they couldn't get her in at such short notice. Her foot was started to swell. At first it was hard to tell if it was just chub or swelling, but it was definately swelling. Her foot was very sensitive to the touch, so I decided not to wait, and just spend the extra copay just to have it looked at right away.
We went in to Urgent Care. When we finally saw the doctor, he felt her foot, and judging by her wincing and thigns, he said it was broken. Oh great...another broken bone in the Christensen home. But, he wanted to do an x-ray to see where the break was and to assess the damage. We suffered through the x-rays. Harmless, really, but you would have thought we were beating poor Macie by the sound of her screams!
X-rays came back, the doctor said it was broken just under her arch, but wanted the radiologist to look at it. The Radiologist looks at it, apparently is wasn't broken. Crazy, you say? Yes it was. It wasn't a clean break, just a green stick fracture. We were familiar with that term because of Noah's accident when he was 10 months old and his green stick fracture in his arm. But, since it was in the bottom of her foot, under the arch, the doctor said there really wasn't much to do. He didn't want to cast it and risk growth problems and such, so he said to try my best to keep her off it, but if she didn't stay off of it, it was fine, no healing issues, really.
It took a few days for her to finally walk on it normally. She limped for a while after and then wouldn't be able to walk on it far before complaining of the pain. But today, you never would have known. Until we pulled up to that same park today. And then the memories started flowing, and she did not want to go to the park anymore! She ended up going and playing. Nothing will keep this girl down. She's a trooper.
2 weeks ago









3 comments:
Your kids are either super-active or have fragile bodies! Our 2-year-old nephew broke his leg, and it was the saddest thing to see him crawling around with his cast. (He's fine now.) I'm glad Macie's feeling better!
Poor little girl! You guys really have had more that your fare share of broken bones. Greenstick fractures almost exculsively happen on kids because their bones are not full formed yet so they're a little more flexible than adult bones. (that's the EMT in me talking) I think God definitely knew what he was doing when he made our bodies and knew that kids would be kids!
I haven't checked your blog for a week, then you have all these new entries--as I scrolled down to "broken foot" my heart stopped! But am now relieved to know Macie is ok, in fact that all of you are ok! That mix of Tomboy and Beautiful Girl that Macie is, is just perfect! Yup, she is a trooper! Glad all is well now. xoxo
Post a Comment