Friday, September 5, 2008

Macie Von Trapp?

I've been feeling quite crafty the past few days. I even unpacked my sewing machine! I don't know where this craft urge came from. And it probably won't last very long, but that's okay! I was looking at a blog from a girl in our ward, and she had made a doll from Martha Stewarts website. I had actually seen it a while ago, and thought it was cute, but had no motivation to actually make it. But I thought I'd give it a try since Macie's birthday is coming up. So I made it. I'm going to make Macie a coordinating skirt as well, so watch for the birthday post in a few weeks. I haven't added eyes yet, either. I can't decide if I want to dry just little slits or sew on buttons. Adam said buttons, but I don't know if that would look weird? Any thoughts on the matter?



And then the next project. I made Macie a skirt. It's nothing fancy. Not a dress or anything cool like that, just a skirt. I bought her the cutest little red ballet flats the other day, and found this fabric in my fabric box, and thought it would be perfect. But, the funny thing is, I used this fabric for curtains in my kitchen when we lived in Palmdale.

So, my Macie is a Von Trapp child from Sound of Music. Oh well, I think it's cute. She wasn't being a very good model, but who is when they first wake up? I couldn't wait for her to wake up to try it on. I'm not a very good seamstress. I don't use a pattern, and I can't really sew a straight line. It's usually all messed up, and I usually have to unpick everything I sew at least once. So don't look too closely. I'm sure there are strings hanging off and we'll probably find a pin in there somewhere. I even had to use ribbon along the bottom to cover up a crooked seam. One day I'll be good like my mom! She used to make us dresses all of the time. She was always sewing. And then her daughters...not so much. But, I'm trying.

2 comments:

The Critchlow Family said...

I think it turned out adorable! And what a cute little girl for it to go on! It always helps make it even cuter when whoevers wearing it is cute ;) You are a much better seamstress than me. I don't even think I know how to put thread on a machine. But I will learn someday. My mom has tried to teach me but I've had no interest and now that I want to learn, I don't live at home anymore! Funny how that works huh?!

brittanyandtravis said...

The skirt looks great!! And I think tiny buttons would look cute for the doll's eyes. Plus if they don't go on even you can re-do it unlike drawing them on.