Monday, April 14, 2008

Nursing

So, I have to post this, and see what I get! Macie is the world's best nurser! Seriously. She is 19 months old and still nursing every 3 hours or so. And she INSISTS that she nurse. She pulls on my shirt and screams until she gets it. She literally came out hungry, wanting to nurse! When she was born, they cleaned her off, and we took a few pictures, but within 10 minutes of birth she was latching on and nursing. I don't know what to do with her. I'm thinking that it's time to wean her. She's getting a little big, and she just squirms around a lot while nursing. But she is pretty talented. She can play, talk, and pretty much crawl while nursing. I don't know how she does it, but nothing gets in the way of her nursing! I'm telling you, she is the world's best nurser. The doctor didn't think I would still have enough milk for her, so he had me pump a bottle. And sure enough, I was able to pump a 6 ounce bottle in no time, with a good layer of fat! I don't know what it is, but I've still got enough for her, and she just wants to nurse. She won't drink anything else, really. Or eat much either. I know what you're thinking, she's pretty big. You probably think I'm joking that she doesn't eat other things, but seriously, she doesn't. I always thought she would eat things, but then later find them in her carseat or in the folds of the high chair cover. She really doesn't eat much else. I need help or I'll still be nursing her until she in kindergarten! Any ideas? I don't want her to miss out on essential nutrients, and I think she needs more than just breastmilk now, but I can't get her to stop! I've tried just waiting it out, but she really will not eat until she nurses. She went about 11 hours with nothing. Just because she refused to eat. I don't want to starve my poor girl! I'm a sucker though...I can't see her sad. It just breaks my heart. What should I do?

5 comments:

brittanyandtravis said...

That is tough. I don't know what you've tried but I think maybe just do what you do with babies. Mix your milk with some sort of rice cereal. And maybe tell her that a certain character eats a food. (Spiderman LOVE this. It is red like spiderman) I do that with Chloe with green things it is shrek and she will eat it. Hopefully she will start eating more solids. And congrats for nursing for so long!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

I wish I could help you out in this area, but I have no ideas. All I can say is, wow, you could make some serious extra cash if you wean that girl and sell your milk.

Natalie♥ said...

O my gosh I am having the same problem and I was going to post it on my blog also but I thought people would think I was crazy still nursing a one year old. I am glad to see you are having the same problem. I hate to quit nursing because it means my baby is no longer a baby. It is so sad. Makenna will eat a few kinds of baby food and she will kinda take a sippy cup but only with juice, so I am lucky there. But all she really wants is me to nurse her. I feel the same way about her being really wiggly while she nurses too. It is time for her to stop. And now since I finally got over mastitis I don't want to try to wean her because I am afraid it will come back. Please let me know if you find a solution to this problem. We might just be nursing when they go to Kindergarten. Ha Ha

Andrea Grover said...

We had the opposite problem about four months ago: Analee suddenly refused to nurse.

I don't know what you have and have not tried. When I weaned Bekah, I started spacing her feedings farther and farther apart until we eliminated them one at a time. For example, if she was nursing every four hours, I'd move it to four and a half hours between feedings, then five, etc., over the course of several weeks' time.

georgia said...

hi. you don't know me, but i am friends with your MIL :). i think it is wonderful that you are still nursing your daughter. it is totally normal and healthy for her to be nursing at this age. she isn't interested in other food because she is getting all of the nutrients she needs from you, mama! as your baby grows your milk changes. when you have an infant you make infant milk, and as they turn into toddlers your milk changes to meet their needs. if she is still as interested in nursing as you say she is, weaning her could be very traumatic. listen to your heart and trust your instincts. don't wean her just because it's unusual to see a 19 month old nursing in our culture.

but, that being said, i'm sure it is exhausting to nurse every 3 hours for 19 months! if she acts interested in food while you are eating it's fine to offer her little bits. she doesn't need to start out on cereal or baby food or anything. you could also try having your hubby feed her solids. some babies won't take solids from their moms if they are still loving nursing. i'd recommend talking to a la leche league leader to get more help with introducing solids. good luck :). carol talks about you a lot and you sound like an amazing mom.