Thursday, September 8, 2011

day one.

My due date was August 29th. August 29th came, and then went. I didn't have an appointment with the midwife until September 1st. But, this was is my fourth baby, I just knew that she would be early...she had to be. Adam went with me to my appointment, in hopes that they would say, "Oh my gosh, you're dilated to a 6! Get to the hospital!" But instead, they said, "You are barely dilated to a one, maybe." Not what I wanted to hear. She attempted to strip my membranes. She was very sure that I would most likely go into labor on my own over the weekend, if not that day. But, just in case, she scheduled an appointment for Monday, Labor Day, to go to the hospital for a NonStress Test and an Amniotic Fluid Index test. We walked around San Luis for a little bit, but nothing was happening, so we went home.

Nothing happened over the weekend. So, we went to the appointment. The test showed that I was having regular contractions, ever 4 minutes. Sometimes even 3. But, the baby was good. Her heartrate was great, and the fluid level was awesome...apparently there was a lot of fluid. But, since my contractions were so close together, the midwife thought just a dose of cervidil would be the trick. I had had it with Jacob, and it worked great, so it was promising.

There wasn't any room in our preferred hospital, so we were ready to go to the other hospital in town, which was more expensive, to be induced. But, Adam played the "My mom did this exact same thing 34 years ago, and because it was a holiday she had to wait another day" card, and it worked. They found room for us. I was admitted. They did the cervidil at 6PM, I wasn't dilated any more than a 1. I was assured that I would most likely have a baby in my arms by 6 AM the next morning, Adam's birthday.

0 comments: