Saturday, September 11, 2010

the surprise

{August 25th}


We left our house early to get down to the airport in LA. The kids were so excited, but still didn't know who the surprise visitor was. They has their ideas, but they didn't know for sure. I had a huge piece of posterboard to make a "welcome" sign, but in the car the huge paper seemed too hard to manuveur, so I decided to cut it {yes...I keep scissors in my car. My mom always did, so I do too! They come in handy sometimes!} into six smaller pieces and write NANA and let the kids draw on the others. Good thing they can't read yet, or it would have ruined the surprise! We got to the airport and stood outside the doors where the passengers come out of and waited, holding the signs. When they saw Nana coming up the walkway both screamed, "NANA!" And ran to greet her with a big hug. We were all so happy to see her. It was a much needed break for her, I'm sure. Things have been different for her, and for everybody, but for her mostly. She needed to get away.


We started our visit with a little lunch and a trip to the Temple. The visitors center just barely reopened after a 3 year remodel, and it was pretty great. Very interactive and fun. The weather forecast for LA was 105 that day, we didn't want to be outside much. We did a little sightseeing, and then sat in traffic for a while {gotta love LA} and headed home.









We had many adventures planned.

1 comments:

carol said...

The Terminator (or is it Conan?)aka the Gov of CA should give you two a tax credit for being inexhaustive tour guides! Space is too small to list all we did, so I'll say we began and ended my visit on celestially--Day One at the perfectly wonderful L.A. Temple Visitors Center to Day Ten at the Sprinkles cupcake shop, and with some Madonna Inn in the middle! And Carmel's white sands and the amazing views on Hwy 1 and zebras and horses and elephant seals and ....