
Noah was so excited for his first day of school. I was not. I still am in shock. MY baby couldn't possibly be this old, can he? We went to orientation and discovered exactly what people had warned me about...Noah was the only blonde kid in the entire Kindergarten program. And, the "English only" students were far an in between. Luckily, of the very few English speakers, we knew one of them from our ward, and she's in Noah's class. Big plus there. Another big plus, the teacher doesn't really speak Spanish either...so at least I know that Noah won't be confused!
When we went backpack shopping, I told Noah he could get any backpack he wanted. After looking at the Buzz Lightyear, Star Wars Clone Wars, Transformers, and all the others, he finally decided on the PLAIN gray one. I asked him many times if he was positive this is the one he wanted...it was the cheapest, I wasn't complaining! And yes, he wanted the plain one. But, he didn't want to keep it plain. He has ambitions. He wants to put a Star Wars patch on the back, and find other patches to put on it. Clever kid! Momo sent him a pirate patch and I sewed it on. We found an 'N' at a discount fabric store for a quarter, so we put that on there too. I'm pretty sure he has the coolest backpack!
Last night before bedtime, we started a tradition. Adam gave Noah the "back to school" blessing. It is such a great tradition and I'm very glad we've started it. If it didn't help him feel better, it sure as heck helped me! And then it was bedtime. Eight is the new time. I, of course, was up all night thinking about it. Dang overactive mind!
Morning came, and it was finally time. Noah was so excited, but I think Macie was more excited and jealous that Noah was actually going to school. She got a little sad at orientation, so I was a little worried about her. Noah got all dressed in his brand new school clothes and we were off. I was taking my son to SCHOOL! We got there a little early, and Noah told me he was fine, he'd wait in line and I could go. I couldn't leave my baby just standing there, so I waited with him, and I just took pictures! Finally 8:00 came, and the teacher came and they all filed in. It was a little emotional when she shut the door. I did shed a few tears, but Macie gave me the best advice. And then I started thinking about next year. Why can't I just get through this one before I start thinking about next? Goodness.
We went to Target, folded a little laundry, started more laundry, and then it was already time to pick him up! We made it. And so did he. He loved every second of his first day of school. Except the moldy bagel I sent him, that upset him a little. {it was not moldy, however, it was just cream cheese, that stinker kid!} And the best part...he wants to go tomorrow!









5 comments:
that grey backpack really makes him stand out in a crowd. ;)
That is too funnny. He's the tall one right? Congrats Lindsay on getting him out of the house and not holding on to his leg crying as he headed into class. That would be embarrassing!
I'm glad you all survived the first day- I'm always nervous for mine!
Such a tender little post, this. And what was Macie's good advice to you? (I should probably call her Stan or Turkey Lurkey?) :)
did you wait until the first day of school to introduce him to cream cheese on a bagel? That's FUNNY!
I'm really digging the backpack!
Post a Comment