Tuesday, July 6, 2010

poor Jake.

Yesterday morning the kids were all playing in the backyard. I had just been out there with them, and came in the house for just a second. And then the screaming started. A very loud, uncommon Jacob scream. Noah ran in telling us Jacob had just fallen from the slide. We ran out there and poor Jacob was still laying on the ground with a huge scrape and goose egg on his head. I picked him up and carried him inside. When we got in, I noticed he was holding his arm weird. And then he kept pointing at it and saying, "Ow!" We gave him some medicine, and hoped that everything was okay. We checked for a concussion, but he seemed okay. The doctor was not in, since Monday was a holiday, so we were waiting it out. He cried himself to sleep, poor kid. He wimpered in his sleep. When he woke up, he was quite a bit happier! We went on a little drive to Nojoqui Falls, and hung out there for a while, went to Solvang for a bit, and then headed home. He kind of had had a rough time, crying more than usual. He was running around and fell down...on his arm, and screamed again. I knew we needed to take him in. I wanted to right away, but was hoping that I was just overreacting, which I do often! I headed to Urgent Care, registered him, and was waiting to get called back. He vomited everywhere. It was so sad. He was probably just in so much pain! They did the x-rays, and sure enough, he had a broken bone near his wrist. {The distal radius, if that means anything to you!} It was an incomplete break, however, but still a break. They put a hard splint on it, and wrapped it up. We go in tomorrow to the Pedatric Orthopedic doctor to probably put an actual cast on it. He's a trooper, though. It's so sad to look at his little arm. But, he loves his built in weapon! Watch out, it hurts!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Poor thing! I hope he's doing ok. That can't be fun for him or you!

carol said...

Jacob is so even tempered and good natured, it really MUST have hurt him (don't mean to add to any parent's guilt!). Jake is a trooper though, I have a feeling his wrist will heal in record time! From one wrist breaker to another though, tell Jacob to stay off slippery rocks on California beaches. xoxo