{May 22nd}
Macie was enrolled in a dance class through the college here. She loved it. It was every Wednesday for 45 minutes. One of her best friends was in the class with her, and the teacher was in our ward, which also worked out to our advantage. Macie loved going each week and spending that time "with just girls. No boys."
Every day I would ask her to show me what she learned, or try to practice different ballet things with her, but she wouldn't do it. She wouldn't do anything about dance outside of dance. It was funny! And then it came time for the recital. She was very excited. We got her adorable tutu and wings and she was ready. At the parent observation day, I learned that Macie isn't the most graceful ballerina, she's got a little tomboy in her, and she runs full speed and hops instead of gracefully leaping through the air, but that's okay! That's Macie. I'm sure with time she'll get better! During the observation day, she was a little shy and didn't like me watching her, and froze. I was a little worried that she wasn't going to actually do the dance for the recital.
Recital day came. I was the nervous one, she really didn't have any idea. So, I got her in full costume and make up and took her to rehearsal in the morning. I left her there and was going to come back in an hour to pick her up. When I got back, they had been running behind so she hadn't actually danced her dance yet. But, she saw me in the back, and got a little nervous. Her little friend had gotten scared first and was crying a bit, and I think when Macie saw me she thought she should be a little scared, too. I don't know what happened, but she cracked. They went on the stage for their first run through the dance on stage, and Macie cried. She sobbed. All the little girls were pushing her to go for her turn, which made things worse. Her teacher, came to the rescue and carried her throughout the rest of the dance. And then I got worried. Was she going to do this for the recital performance? Was I making a bad decision to send her out?
We went home, talked to her about it, ensured her it would be fine, got a milkshake, ate lunch, played a bit with Momo, Pa, and Cory who came for the big day, and then went back for the recital. I was so nervous. I dropped her off, then dropped the boys off with a friend, and headed back. I seriously was sick. I was so nervous. I don't know why. And then it started. The little girls class was the second dance of the night. She music started and I was sweating and panicking {which I learned later, so was her teacher! ;-)}. They all came on stage, and Macie did awesome. She had to push her way through the line a few time, but she did every move, every leap, every twirl, everything. I was so proud of my little girl dancing up there on stage, and yes, I cried. Having three kids has turned me into an emotional basketcase! But, she did it! She finished the dance with a smile on her face. Afterwards, she was so proud of herself, too. She didn't stop smiling all night! Daddy gave her pretty long stemmed red roses, and Momo gave her a Barbie. {I think she enjoyed the Barbie more, sorry Daddy!}
When it was all through, she wanted to do it again, I guess that's a good sign, right? We'll be signing her up in the fall. She's such a cute little ballerina. She looks pretty cute in make up, too. I'm thinking beauty pageants next. What do ya think? ;-)









3 comments:
I want to sign Bekah up for dance classes this fall, but I'm having a hard time finding a studio that meets all of my requirements: I don't want it to cost too much, I don't want it to be too high-pressure, and I don't want the costumes to be too sleazy. Sigh ...
So glad Macie liked ballet and the recital turned out good! Macie does make a cute little ballerina. Oh, and baby Jake wears a cast well too.
Did you take pictures of Macie with her green wings when she visited Papa at the UWMC? It's one of my best memories of that time! Except for the clappers in the hallway, and also the finger motioner who asked for a Macie kiss. xoxo
Post a Comment