Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My daughter?

{I have been debating this for a long time. I didn't want to blog about this at first, but for journaling purposes, I think I will.}

Macie is three going on sixteen. She always has seemed more mature than her age. When Noah was three his vocabulary was like an eighth of what Macie's is now. The difference in boys and girls is insane! A lot of times I have no idea where she comes up with the things she says or does. And they are so girly things to do.

I have been hearing a lot of horror stories about girls lately. Girls are mean to each other in school. Like around second grade. I have heard of girls being bullyed, being made fun of, and teased. I remember being teased when I was little. I remember getting rocks thrown at me on the slide during recess. I vowed that my daughter would be everyones friend. She would be so nice to all of the kids. She would be the one that saw the little girl playing by herself on the playground and befriend her and take her under her wing.

Well, Macie has her own agenda. I'm afraid with this girl. I'm afraid she might BE the bully. I'm not raising her like that. We don't promote this in our house in any way, shape or form. I'm working on this. I am.

I'm embarassed to even tell this story, really. But, apparently when Macie was in nursery a while ago, she told a little girl that her dress was ugly and that she should just go home and throw it away. My daughter said that! Why on earth would she say that? Where did she get that?

So, if your daughter came home in tears, and wanted to throw her dress away after church. I am VERY sorry. I don't know who it was, I just heard the story. And when I heard it, I cried. Macie is a nice girl, I promise. She loves all of her friends. She really does.

1 comments:

Heidi said...

Linds, don't be so hard on yourself, or her, for that matter. Yes, we don't want to promote bullying or being mean-spirited, but that being said, most little kids don't have the "filters" that most adults have. Sometimes my filter seems broken as well.
Just reinforce the positive behavior and try to ignore the negative. I know it's hard. Come on, you know my children! ;)
As an aside, was that girl's dress really ugly? Maybe Macie was just speaking the truth in a loving way and it was misconstrued. :) Or maybe you have a future Vogue editor in your home. ha ha