Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Myrt's Chocolate Cake


My grandma, Myrt, makes THE best chocolate cake EVER. There isn't another cake like hers. I have eaten many chocolate cakes, but none of them ever match or even come close to hers. On my 7th birthday, she made me a cake. It had zucchini. I am not a fan of the zucchini, and so I stopped eating chocolate cake. Yes, I refused to eat cake for MANY years. And then, nearly 15 years later I was reunited, and I kicked myself for missing out on it for so many years. WHAT IN THE HECK WAS I THINKING??? No one can resist Myrt's cake.

I haven't had Myrt's cake in 2 years. It's been WAY too long. I think it's one of the things I miss most about Idaho! I always hear about the cake, and my mouth waters, I get so jealous. And so, I called her for the recipe. However, I don't think she ever discloses the ENTIRE recipe of anything. I believe she has secret ingredients, and doesn't tell anyone. Because no matter how hard I try, nothing ever seems to compare. I have been making her sugar cookies for years. Probably close to like 20 batches. Not one even came remotely close to hers. It could have been the 7-14 cups of flour that she said to use. {that's quite the range...it's the secret, I tell ya.} And then when I asked her for the cake recipe, for some reason she didn't tell me what to bake it at or how long. I think it was a trick! I don't know though, I think there is a secret ingredient that she won't divudlge. It was a good cake, but it definately wasn't Myrt's.

Erin wants me to keep trying. Everyday. I think I may. It wasn't near as good as Myrt's, but it came in a close second. {thanks Anniece, for frosting the cake...it looks fabulous!!} We thought that maybe the cake pan had something to do with it...but I think it could be a drug. I don't know...but I need to go to Idaho VERY soon and eat some of that cake. I need a good fix. I could eat the entire cake. Until then, I better get bakin'.


Hmm...a hole, frosting missing? Who could have done this???

4 comments:

lillipad said...

cason LOVES grandma's cake...and pie. he says we need to become her best friends and go over every week in hopes of getting a tasty treat!

Phoebe said...

hahah... laughed so hard at this post... i do agree she holds out on important info. when giving out recipes!! she is an amazing cook for sure...keep practicing!

Unknown said...

yummy! I would gladly eat a chocolate cake made by you or grandma!

erica said...

i've been thinking about this post now for two days and am craving a taste. it sure looks good. grandma is a funny lady - holding out on ingredients. haha