I love my car. I won't take a picture of it right now, because I don't want to admit that it's very dirty, there are stickers on about every window, and there is drawing on the back windows {it will come off, it is with a "window marker"...don't worry}. But I will just TELL you about it! It's better to tell than to see it! But, I drive a navy blue 2006 Honda Accord, with dark tinted windows, and love it. We bought it just over a year and a half ago, I guess we weren't anticipating the birth of another child so soon! Our Jeep Cherokee went kaput on us, so we HAD to buy a new car, and at the time, we did not want to "sell out" and get a minivan, and the gas prices were skyrocketing, so the Accord was our best option. Yes, we didn't really look at anything else. I knew what I wanted, and we got it. It was a good deal.
And then Jacob was born. Having three children in carseats really dampens your style. Yes, we do fit. Everyone has a seatbelt. But, Noah sits in the front. Which, is actually preferable for me. I can sit by the baby and he doesn't get attacked by his siblings, and I can pump bottles and fee him on long trips, as was evident on our recent trip to Seattle, we shed a lot of time off of a potentially LONGER drive. But "fit" was just it. We barely fit in the car. Our trunk was filled to the max, there was little to no room to move around and get comfortable. The position I was in, was the position I was in when we got there. The kids are in carseats, so really, it doesn't matter if they have the extra room or not, because they are already confined. But, they didn't have much extra room for their things, or easy access to anything, and I couldn't help out much since the Jacob's car seat is giant, and I can't reach around it much. Like a can of sardines, we did make it to and from Seattle. So, it's inevitable...we need a bigger car.
My sister and brother in law just bought a minivan. They took the plunge first on my side of the family. My parents never owned a minivan, they had four kids, we did just fine. But, they didn't have as strict of car seat laws back in those days. So, Alison was the first. And they love it. It's spacious, leather, and a DVD player. And I'll admit, I was a little jealous as I was sitting, crammed in the back seat, that Alison would be driving in luxury on her next trip. And that is when I starting thinking more about it. At first I was fine with my little Accord. It's like the Christensen clown car, we just keep coming out of it. But, when I really think about it, we need a bigger car. Not only for us, but for when we have family in town. We just need extra space for the grandparents to visit. But, can I do a minivan? I've tried talking myself into it, and I just don't know if I can fit the "minivan mom" mold. Can I? We haven't driven many. We did take a drive in the VW Routan last night. I just feel so old in it! I looked over at Adam driving it, and realized how old my husband is! {haha...he'll always be 5 years older than me, so I can say that!} A few days ago we looked at this:
The 2009 Ford Flex. It seats 7, and is Ford's alternative to the minivan. In fact, they are no longer making minivans because they couldn't ever get theirs just right. So, they are making this instead. It take a little bit to get used to the idea of the body style But, now I kind of like it. It would make me feel like a "hipper" mom. It looks a little more along Adam's style as well. The first thing I asked the salesman was what he "felt" about this car. He said, "I admit, I didn't like it when I first saw it. Then I drove it, and now I love it." And it does have a nice ride. Another added plus is all the bells and whistles. It had leather, navigation, power everything, mood lighting {because we all need that right?}, like 4 different sun/moon roofs, and just about everything. They are going to give a steal of a deal for it since it was the dealer demo car, so it has a few miles on it, so we're getting pretty much a brand new car at a cheaper price, but with all the new car incentives. But, here is the big question. Should we get a Ford? I really want to know you opinion on a Ford. The guy told us that Ford did have it's downfall about 10 years ago when the cars were having problems, but they have improved. Like Honda they have come out with a Service Plan, which helps you to know when and what needs serviced on your car before it becomes a bigger problem. Is the phrase "If you take care of your car, it will take care of you" legit? Can we actually like an American made car? What is your opinion? We love the car. The kids love it. It's a good deal...more than we are paying now, but it's really inevitable when you look at bigger cars anyway. If we went used, we'd have a higher interest rate on the loan. Oh, the joys of car buying.
But really...Ford? What do you think?
2 weeks ago









9 comments:
I think you're kind of vain. Just get a minivan. :)
-SG
Seriously. What's the deal with anti-minivan peeps? Nothing wrong with it, and it has sliding doors which are a huge plus when you're in tight parking spaces or a smaller garage.
As for the Ford question, I can only tell you two things: (1) I love Ford Mustangs, but only the vintage ones. (2) When we were looking at Ford minivans, the general consensus was to steer clear. They don't get very good consumer reports. As for this particular Ford ... couldn't tell ya.
And what the heck do you mean by "'sell out' and get a minivan"?!
I would buy that car strictly for the mood lighting! ;)
I'm offended at your "minivan mom" comment since I am one and don't think that diminishes my cool factor at all. Minivans are great and I hate to tell you that having 3 kids makes you a "minivan mom" even if you don't own one. ;) That being said, we've looked at the Flex, I think its a cool looking car. But can't get past the fact that F-ound O-n R-oad D-ead. Good luck.
Alright...I didn't mean to offend you, Beth! You are still cool. And you are, too Andrea!! I guess it's just the idea of a mini van that gets to me. I know I signed up for it. I had the three kids...I guess it's inevitable, right? Mini van's are a heck of a lot cooler than they used to be, that's for dang sure. I guess I just need to grasp the fact that I am getting older...sad.
We LOVE our 1996 Explorer. Love it. Though the interior is a bit sad from the abuse we've heaped upon it, it has stood the test of time.
We bought it before Annalise was born (we've had it seven years now) and finally just had to put some money into it for a radiator leak. We did have to replace the thermostat once, but besides the oil changes, we haven't had to do anything to it until recently. And we've done A LOT of driving in it: Rexburg to Seattle and back so many times; Rexburg to Utah and back quite a few times, too; not forgetting to mention all that ice in Idaho!
We have come to the conclusion, from our experience, that Fords are built well.
But what is your problem with minivans?! They are roomy, gas efficient and a mother's helper.
I'm not sure what we'll get for when the third baby comes along. I've a while to worry about that.
I do know that next time we buy a sedan, it will probably be an Accord. We also both loved that car too...until that fateful day when I hit a parked car with it and had it totalled...
And your Accord is just so very sexy.
Well, Lindsay, I guess you'll never be a minivan snob again and write about it, will you?!! haha
Seriously, earlier this very month Noah (with his blue eyes very wide) distinctly informed me he wanted MY car: a 2008 Hyundai Vera Cruz minivan. He likes to sit in the 'way back and up high' and look down on the world. Did you forget?? :)
To echo everyone's comments, we LOVE our van. Everyone calls it a suburban because it doesn't look like a mini van (It's a Chevy Uplander). As for Ford, I know we will never own a Ford car unless it's a mustang. Travis doesn't like them due to their cars and also some political stuff. But we love american cars. We have two Chevys and will probably only get them. Good luck with whatever you choose. You'll love all the extra room!!
Post a Comment