Tuesday, February 2, 2010

OstrichLand


Hidden on the Central Coast of California is OstrichLand. If you haven't even gone, well...you're missing out on the opportunity to say that you have been to OstrichLand, and you didn't just drive past it, like we did when we were trying to find it. Seriously, if you blink you will miss it. We did. Twice. What do you think OstrichLand might be? What are you envisioning in your head? To help you vision, they do charge adults 4 bucks to get in, and children under 12 are 1 dollar. Now what do you think it is? Maybe, like a little zoo, right? With a little path that you can see many many ostriches, and maybe have a few little displays. Maybe there is even someone there to talk to you about ostriches.


The kids and I went with my friend, Kristyn and her two boys Thacker and Bennett, and that is not what OstrichLand is like. First of all, you have to pay 1 dollar to feed them. There are "feeding rules" signs everywhere. The rules were pretty intense. I just figured anyone could feed them. Oh, was I wrong. You are given a metal dustpan with a pet food dish glued to the top full of food. You are supposed to set your pan on the fence and hold on with both hands. I didn't. I underestimated the strength of an ostrich. They almost took the entire thing. They are one strong bird. Holy Cow. The first time I fed them, I screamed. I did. And then I let Kristyn feed them. She screamed too. They are vicious animals, I tell ya. It was scary. I had envisioned the kids being able to feed them. They didn't. No one was there to tell us about ostriches. The path was like 50 feet long. It stunk. OstrichLand was not was I expected. Still, however, it was a neat experience. You should go sometime! Follow the rules though. They like to bite. Thacker, was indeed bit by the "oscar".

Ostriches are strange looking animals. They are the only bird with 2 toes. It's weird. They look like dinoaur toes. Or something. The emus are a heck of a lot nicer. We didn't scream when we fed them. It was fun, though. I'm glad we went to OstrichLand.



And I'm even more glad we stopped in Solvang to get these:


Abelskivers. They are delicious goodness. A warm puffish thing, topped with powdered sugar and dipped in raspberry jam, the kind that donuts are filled with. YUM. You can come visit us and we can go to OstrichLand, your reward will be these heavenly things. Enticing huh?

3 comments:

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Yum, my mom has an ebelskiver pan and I used to love to make those! I think I might have to go borrow it now and introduce my kids to them. I haven't had them for a long time!

Oh and Ostrich's are wierd. There was a strange animal farm in Yuma, AZ that we visited and they had lots of them. They were a lot bigger and stronger than I ever imagined. It made for an interesting outing. Definitely different than your typical zoo.

carol said...

What a great, hilarious picture you took of that ostrich! You could sell it to National Geographic Magazine! Glancing quickly to the bottom picture I thought "Weird ostrich eggs--looks like those Danish creme-filled pastries!" Come see us, I'll make a gross of ebelskiver, with a variety of fillings!

Heidi said...

i'll be right down! those look yummo!
guess that's the reward for seeing those stinky animals!