We live in the desert. We moved here last July, in the heat of the summer. The average temperature was 105. But it usually got around 115 during the day. Yeah, it was very hot! We came from a beach town further south, where we had a nice ocean breeze all of the time, and the option of going to the beach. But in the desert, you've got nothing! I had heard horror stories of air conditioning bills being HUGE, so I didn't want to end up in that trap, so I would hold out as long as I could without the AC. We would be sitting in a 90 degree house, with sweat dripping down our faces, before I would turn the AC on. We didn't have terribly huge bills, so it was okay. But this was in July and August, when it's supposed to be hot anyway. It was doable. It was only going to last a few months, and then we'd see some relief. Well, this past week, it has been hot! On Saturday and Sunday it was in the 100s, reaching highs of 106! And then it's been "cooler" with about 95 degree temperatures the other days. I don't know about you, but after 90, that's it...it doesn't matter the actual temperature, it's just too fricken hot! Check your calendars...yeah, it's May! It's not supposed to be this hot! Where is Spring? I guess I'm learning first hand what people meant when they said that California has two seasons, Summer and Fall (or what other people consider fall.) The kids have been funny about the heat. They love to play outside. And about a week ago, I couldn't keep them in the house. They were outside in just diapers a few times. They just love to be outside. But the past few days, they have been so excited to go out, and we get all ready. They walk out and get hit with the wall of heat and soon decide that maybe they want to play inside. It's kind of sad. When they do decide to stay out, they get really rosy cheeks, and drink their entire sippy cup of water in about 2 seconds. One thing that I've learned, it that the mall and Target are good places to hang out in the heat! They were very busy when it was so hot. People want to save money by not running their ACs, but, if they are like me, they'll spend more shopping anyway. But you're not so hot! It's a toss up, I guess! This desert living, is quite interesting! We've had coyotes as neighbors, black bears roaming the city, and unbearable heat. I'm ready for the beach again. I'm a California snob now...I have to have my beach. But now after being in the desert heat, I'll freeze at the beach. I've acclimated to this weather. I'm headed to Idaho next week...I better bring my winter coat, I hear it's going to be in the 70s!
2 weeks ago









2 comments:
Yikes! That is really HOT! At least you have an AC and no humidity. (We don't have an AC which is crazy!) Have fun in the cold north!
Hello Lindsay!
I haven't seen you for years! I can't believe I randomly found your blog. I am not envious of the heat...we are in Ohio and are trying to deal with the humidity! Yikes! check out our blog it is http://joshandkrystal.blogspot.com
Chat at you later!
Krystal (Robertson) Muir
Post a Comment