Jacob wanted a friend birthday party this year. He has been talking about it for months. I adopted the idea a few years ago that the kids could invite the same number of kids as they were in years. So Jacob got to invite four kids this year. He was pretty excited. He wanted to have a Legolas birthday party. Don't worry if you don't know who Legolas is. I didn't. Apparently he is in Lord of the Rings. He has a bow and arrow. Who knew?! It evolved to just a Bow and Arrow party. How do you do that? Then it was a "Weapon Party". I didn't think parents would let their four year old come to that. So, then it became and Indian Party. However, I wasn't sure that was so much politically correct. So then it became a Peter Pan party. Yes, he has a Peter Pan party last year. But who cares? I had so much ideas that I didn't execute last year that I happily obliged. A Peter Pan Party it became.
Jacob was the brains behind the party
planning. He told me the following: "I want to have three areas. A Peter
Pan area to play Follow the Leader. And then a pirate area and play
with swords and find a treasure. And a Indian area and shoot bow and
arrows and play in a teepee." His requests seemed harmless. But, do you
know how long it takes to make a teepee?? Lets just say I underestimated
how long it would actually take! After a few sleepless nights, I didn't
finally finish it! We had mini bow and arrows, which I didn't get a
picture of. It's killing me! They were so cute with a popsicle stick and
twine with q-tips as arrows. We made their "shadows" on black paper,
which was the highlight of the party! We did in deed play Follow the
Leader around the swimming pool, after they got Pixie Dust sprinkled on
their heads to take them to Neverland. We also did have a sword fight in
the Pirate area and found the buried treasure of candy in lieu of a
pinata.
A
few hours before the party started, I got a phonecall from the bakery
making the dozen cupcakes. They said, "We're sorry, but we are too tired
to get your order done by 12. It will be ready around 2 or 4. Probably
4, though. You should go somewhere else." WHAT?? You are too tired to
make my cupcakes? Nice of your to drop the ball 2 HOURS BEFORE the
party. You lost my business. And probably others when I tell them what
happened! It was insane. So, a quick trip to Costco to get cupcakes was
in order. However, being a week before Christmas, they were all
Christmas cupcakes. Jacob was pretty disappointed to see Christmas decor
on the cupcakes, and told me that he couldn't have Christmas cupcakes
on his birthday. So, we settled on chocolate muffins. That worked.









0 comments:
Post a Comment